April 27, 2024, 07:38:44 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Valve seals

Started by 73ironhead, November 11, 2008, 03:27:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

73ironhead

Hya people, just re-did the top and a valve seized after only 55miles; took it to the machine shop and discovered they had put a seal on the stem that I did not see on the book. Seal or no seal?

cheers, Lazio

-patience is passion tamed

jmanjeff

stock did not have a seal 
Vave guide oil seals will require machining of valve guide and / or collar to get the correct overall guide height
1957  Sportster

help-u2

jman correct.. no seal stock.  and not really needed.  let some oil get to guides/valve.
that and/or clearances is why it seized.   i dont know what combo you using...
i use a bronze guide with stainless valve on my hot rod.  yepper it puffs a bit.  just like my XR racer did/sposta.  one quart every 1000 miles is normal...
too bad the machine shop took it on themselves to change it for you.  they should change it back for free...

73ironhead

thanks...machine shop will change for free and..I never minded peeling the engine one extra time...L.

saltcaveminer

yes valve seals were not stock but i would like to know more about what combination was installed.valve seals did not cause the seized valveSalty

fulldress79

Make sure there is enough valve stem to guide clearance.Air cooled motors of course need more than water cooled. bring them the factory clearance specs to be sure

73ironhead

there is no escaping Salty..good on'ya mate, you're right it wasn't the seal that seized the valve but a combination of ; 1. overheated engine during break-in...2.bronze guide instead of iron; the R. EX. bronze guide actually came loose ...I think the machine shop was training a new mechanic on me...whatever...did not charge the second time but had to paint the whole thing again.....L.

saltcaveminer

I'm glad the valve issue is resolved.now on the break in try to follow the S&S break in procedure.(short run times at first 30 sec,60sec,90sec,etc.with full comedowns in between.no hot rodding for at least 1200mi.Salty

73ironhead

yea, I read about the heat cycle and I may change to a bigger jet for the break-in phase 'cause she's running real thin...L.