April 27, 2024, 07:19:54 AM

News:

sleeving cyls

Started by stroker800, May 11, 2009, 08:02:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stroker800

I'm not a knuck guy,,,but was wondering how come more guys don't sleeve their stock HD cyls,,,At the shop I would push LA Sleeves brand over the Dixie stuff...Dixie sells alot of stock size stuff for the flatties....So I'm just curious why not sleeve your knucks???
Dave

ricochet

I'm not sure.  My EL cylinders are sleeved with Badger sleeves and the machinist that did it machined a sort of mating lock to prevent any chance of slippage.  I have seen many a string of technical discussions about heat transfer and correct surfaces for the mating surfaces and all but on the other hand it's been used forever.  Something makes me think the sleeve material is now supperior to the cast of that day anyhow.

ricochet

chris haynes

Actually Knuck cylinders aren't thick enough to stand up to sleeving. I have seen sleeved Knuck cylinders crack 360 degrees between the fins and the two halves sliding apart on the sleeve. These were done by L.A. Sleeve.
Flathead and Panhead cylinders have extra material in the walls.
NRA Member
Costco Member
Iron Butt Association Member I can't Re Member

Lew

-It is now later than it has ever been before-

ricochet

Those Mike Brown cylinders are what I have ready to go into an 86 inch stroker.  All bored, honed and pistons sized.  One of a couple projects I never got to.  Well at least I'm working on the heads now.

ricochet