April 30, 2024, 06:55:10 AM

News:

Ticking and pipes went louder???

Started by 06SG103T, May 12, 2009, 11:05:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

06SG103T

After hitting the gas hard then came to a quick stop at the next light. My motor was making a ticking noise. Then one of the pipes went louder. The rear head pipe. Now at idle I can hear the ticking and feel the pipe pushing harder when it pops. This is a S&S 93" shovelhead motor. It still runs strong, idle is a little higher, I rode the bike back home. What Happen? Is it a valve?? timing?? What is the ticking?? I'm hoping this has happen to someone else so you can tell me what to look at? Thanks for your time,

76shuvlinoff

May 13, 2009, 02:50:37 AM #1 Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 06:31:13 AM by 76shuvlinoff
Had it apart lately? Running ok?

First I'd probably look to see if the pipes were still tight at the head or needed new exhaust gaskets, maybe a loose or missing baffle in the pipes. It could even be a push rod adjustment issue, (happened to me after a poor reassembly   :embarrassed:)
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

06SG103T

No not apart, it's been running strong. There is a small gap at the head & exhaust pipe. I will check that first. Thanks.

Lew

Might check for an intake leak as well.  Try to determine what part of the motor the ticking is coming from.  If the noise is coming from the motor, might pull the screen from the oil pump and check it for crap.  Possibly the plugged screen restricted oil flow to the lifters when engine rpm went up.  Do a compression check to determine the condition of the valves, etc....and go from there.  Keep us posted.    Good luck!

Lew
-It is now later than it has ever been before-

flhswingarm

An exhaust leak will allow air into the pipe on deceleration making unburnt gas vapor to cause loud backfire (my experience anyways)

WVdollar1

funny story.....
I had a TC with Vance and Hines pipes, i pulled out of a watering hole, got on it hard and when i let off i would hear a chirping in rythem with the engine, continued, all the way home, i was terrified I had done catastrophic engine damage, come to find out all that happened was I snapped the exhaust bracket in half and the two halfs were rubbing together but covered up by the heat shields. (my little story that came to mind after reading this post)

Sounds to me like its just a little $1 exhaust gasket, definately the first thing i would try. I'd check brackets too.

Dollar