May 01, 2024, 12:11:30 AM

News:

new to the site; greetings to all!

Started by navdocret, November 26, 2018, 06:03:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

navdocret

Thanks for the opportunity to be included! I would very much appreciate ideas as to what is happening to my 2019 low rider with 1850 miles. It has been broken in correctly; oil/filter changed at 500 miles; 1K service and all Shaeffer oils in engine, primary and trans. It is difficult to down shift into first or neutral, there is a "whine" type noise, and now an odd sound from the primary at 2200+ rpm's. I'm suspecting the compensator and/or the primary chain tensioner. It will probably go to the dealer this week unless their is a "field expedient" fix of which I'm not aware. Lastly, is it safe to drive without major mechanical issues resulting.   

HV

The hard shifting etc sounds like you need the Cable clutch adjusted ......as for whine ......the low riders have a double balancer system and do have a lot of whine to them......I would take it to the dealer and have it checked and the clutch adjusted
HV HTT Admin ..Ride Safe ...But Ride informed with HTT !!
Skype HV.HTT

moose

welcome to the madness              just as a thought check and make sure your primary is not overfilled and also that your trans is not a little low.
Moose aka Glenn-

harttoo

Grayrider

Welcome to the site from up North!
I think you will find on many late model Harley's that there is a whine in the primary.
My 18' Heritage has it and it is annoying  as well as a clunking sound that I believe is also chain related.
Have had it in and adjusted but still there.
I have heard compensator, chain adjustment, auto adjusters, all could cause it. Not sure if anyone knows for sure.
But it is there and on some Twin Cam models as well.
Also as mentioned sounds like your clutch needs to be adjusted to relieve the hard shifting.
I'm Sexy – I Ride a Harley – I can't Help It!

jls 64

js

navdocret

Regarding my post; engine, trans, and primary fluids all changed at about 1K, at 1850 miles still good. clutch adjusted as well. Shifts very smooth, just troublesome finding neutral when coming to a stop. Odd noise from primary at 2200 rpm's and above. I suspect compensator or automatic chain adjuster.

moose

just make sure when you inspect primary fluid it is just touching the bottom of the clutch pack  dont go by just putting the right amount in

you could also rev the engine a little before going into neutral it will sling some of the oil off the plates and maybe make it easier

as to the whine make sure your s.o. is not on the back seat  :teeth:
Moose aka Glenn-