May 08, 2024, 09:48:05 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

110" Revtech compression release question

Started by jswol, May 13, 2009, 11:15:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jswol

I have a 110" revtech motor unmodified and it stripped the starter gear on the starter. Mechanic says it needs compression releases installed to avoid problems.  I would think a 110" motor should'nt need compression releases.  Will a higher torque starter and higher cca battery solve this problem or do I need to install the compression releses?  What brand starter would be best recommended for this application?  Thanks.

James

TheSwede

Hi,,Comp release,,is the best option..
have it myself ,,stock starter can handle any engine
less stress on starter drive.
Best Regards
TheSwede

jclark311

I would listen to the swede, starters cost a lot more than compression releases, how hard could they be to put in?

shov60

Start with a better starter than what you have installed the relases wll cost more than a new  starter and you'll have to take your engine apart.
and if it does it again well then put in the reieases .  Either way it's going to cost you. good luck

jswol

Pzokes

I have a 100" Fatso with an Andrews 2/7 and a Power Arc ignition.  The Power-Arc fires on the first revolution.  First I ate the starter & ring gears and replaced them with the Compufire different ratio gears.  Then I ate the starter and replaced it with a 1.4kw.  Finally I had compression releases installed and found that they pop on the first revolution.  Now I hold in the rear compression release until the bike fires up.  It works great. 
There's miles to go before I sleep.