Tourer solo seats: comfort opinions please...

Started by Maddo Snr, December 15, 2018, 12:55:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davedeluxe

Yeah, maybe a little bit. Feels more like you're IN the bike rather than ON it.
2008 FLSTN w/124". 2016 FLHTCU w/127". Both by Razorback Performance

Jim Bronson

2015 RK. Me: 5'8", 185#, 30" inseam. I tried a Mustang low touring, but it was too wide in the front. I tried a LePera Monterey, but I couldn't see a big advantage over stock. So I had the stock seat narrowed in the front by a local seat guy, and it works fine for me. My feet are flat with my knees well bent. I did add a backrest, and my low-fuel light comes on before I have any discomfort.
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

jm7480

Police seat with mustang pillion on my 2014 FLHTK

IronButt70

Love my Mustang solo with back rest. On extra hot days I throw on the beaded cover for extra ventilation.
No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

Jim Bronson

Quote from: IronButt70 on January 10, 2019, 01:03:48 PM
Love my Mustang solo with back rest. On extra hot days I throw on the beaded cover for extra ventilation.
OK so I'm lazy. Can you point me to the cover you use?
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

IronButt70

Just google "beaded motorcycle seat pads."  :chop:
No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

Harleyrider09

I own several Corbin seats but would not buy one again the customer service is the worst!

Boe Cole

Quote from: 88b on January 09, 2019, 02:40:49 PM
Got the HD Police saddle on my RG , love it .

I thought the police seats were on a pogo????  Not true???
We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

fleetmechanic

January 11, 2019, 10:23:23 AM #33 Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 01:01:23 PM by fleetmechanic
Quote from: Boe Cole on January 11, 2019, 09:41:34 AM
Quote from: 88b on January 09, 2019, 02:40:49 PM
Got the HD Police saddle on my RG , love it .

I thought the police seats were on a pogo????  Not true???
The police seats from '94-2012 rest on an air filled bladder with a tank under the rear rack.  2013-later have a coil spring assembly that needs no air but is stiffer.  Pogos ended in 1985 with the last of the 4 speed shovelheads.  One can run the seat with no bladder or spring and then it becomes a frame mounted seat.  Yes, there were a few 4 speed police shovelheads sold in MY 1985.  Once in a while you see one on ebay.

rauchman

May 31, 2019, 05:25:07 AM #34 Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 05:35:20 AM by rauchman
Sorry for the thread necro...

I'm on a Dyna Switchback with upgraded suspension and have 4 seats sitting in the garage (6 if you count the wife's seats for her Switchback too).

The biggest things I've found to have comfort impact is to know the dimensions of how the seat changes the riding position and then build materials/construction.  I have a 34" inseam and the stock seat, aside from having crappy build quality and padding, was making me too scrunched up.  All the seats listed below were either from the HD seat rental program or bought used.  I have no idea how this applies to the Touring bikes, but for the Dyna Switchback....

HD Sundowner Dual - Moves the rider up 1" and forward 1" -   This didn't work for me as it felt like I was being pushed into the tank.  Build quality is better than the stock seat, but not in the league of the Corbin or Mustang.  Seat width is about 14"+
HD Sundowner Solo - Moves the rider up 1" and back 1" (the wife runs this one on her FLD).  Comfort and positioning are excellent for both my wife (5'7" with long legs) and me (5'11" 34" inseam), but does kind of lock you into a fixed position.  Should be noted, if you're using the pillion for this seat, it has a flimsy plastic tab that connects the front and rear seats.  Doesn't seem all that robust.  Build quality is better than the stock seat, but not in the league of the Corbin or Mustang.  Seat width is about 14"+
HD Tallboy - Moves the rider up 2" and back 1.75" - I run this seat once in a while.  Dramatically changes the riding position.  Handlebar and windshield heights need to be taken into consideration due to the seat being 2" taller.  The seat is wide and flat.  I find the seating position very comfortable.  I'm not a huge fan of a feet forward riding position.  This seat allows my legs to basically do a 90 degree angle to the floor boards.  Does a nice job of taming bike vibes (this is a Dyna after all) and road imperfections.  Build quality is better than the stock seat, but not in the league of the Corbin or Mustang.  I've used this seat on a trip from NJ to NC (the Dragon) and it worked well, but I wanted a backrest.  Cushioning is very good.  It should be noted, the seat looks like a tumor on the bike.  Seat width is 16"+
Corbin Classic Solo w/ backrest - Moves the rider back about 2" and down 1+".  Positioning is very "in" the bike vs "on" the bike.  Very hard leather seat with excellent build quality.  Have to say, I really like riding on leather vs vinyl.  Only seat I've found that locks to the bike, as well as the backrest.  The backrest comfort is the best I've come across.  Every vibe from the bike and every road imperfection is transmitted through the seat.  If using the pillion, the connection is very strong and robust.  I've used this seat on a few trips.  While the backrest is excellent, the transmitting of the vibes becomes fatiguing and the sharp hard corner where the top meets the side would cause discomfort to the underside of my thighs.  Of any of the seats I've used, I like the "idea" of this one best.  Every summer I toy with Corbin making me a seat and pillion with a less dense foam and a taller seat height, but the roughly $1k cost gives me pause.  Seat width is 12"
Mustang Wide Touring - Slightly more "open" than stock.  I'm not positive, but think it moves the rider up .05"-1" and back 0.5"-1".  Just enough to not feel scrunched up, but could use more up and back for me.  Build quality is excellent with a strong and robust connection to the pillion.  Bike vibes and road imperfections and muted nicely.  Backrest is good, but not great.  Also, I don't like that the backrest can be easily pulled out, nor that the seat doesn't lock to the bike.  This is the seat I'm currently using as it's the best compromise I've yet found, but compromise is the key word here.  Seat width is 16".

Hope this helps...

mike49

As was said previously everyone's arse is different, I wear bicycle shorts under my jeans. Multi day trips 2,000 miles, no problem. 2011 Electra glide stock seat. Might be worth a try before spending $$$ on a replacement seat.

akjeff

I'm on a Road Glide, and 6'3". The LePera Outcast Daddy Long Legs w/backrest is super comfortable for me.
'09 FLTR/120R/'91 XL1250 street tracker project/'07 DR-Z400S