May 02, 2024, 09:22:44 PM

News:

ThunderMax Nubie Questions

Started by Ultraman, May 14, 2009, 11:51:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ultraman

First off thanks for taking the time to read. Just installed a ThunderMax on my 02 Ultra 95" stage II. I see a lot more variety of maps for 96" set ups, and a much closer match of components. Is it correct to assume that 1 cubic inch is less important if I find that all the other components are true. The map I'm working with is giving me backfire on decell or when I blurp the throttle. I admit I am just starting the learning curve and as such make hesitant moves. I printed out the whole tuning manual as a book is easier for me to look up procedure. Are there more maps then what you get with updates function? I don't have much time invested in the one I'm using so starting over is no big deal. Just wondering if I'm starting in  the right direction?
07 Nightrain 103"   Calgary Canada   Gigity Gigity Gooooo!

nc-renegade

Quote from: Ultraman on May 14, 2009, 11:51:48 AM
First off thanks for taking the time to read. Just installed a ThunderMax on my 02 Ultra 95" stage II. I see a lot more variety of maps for 96" set ups, and a much closer match of components. Is it correct to assume that 1 cubic inch is less important if I find that all the other components are true. The map I'm working with is giving me backfire on decell or when I blurp the throttle. I admit I am just starting the learning curve and as such make hesitant moves. I printed out the whole tuning manual as a book is easier for me to look up procedure. Are there more maps then what you get with updates function? I don't have much time invested in the one I'm using so starting over is no big deal. Just wondering if I'm starting in  the right direction?

The 96" is a stroker crank, while the 95" is not.  Read page 32 in the instructions manual: It states the order of importance in picking a map.

A: Throttle Body / Injector size
B: Bore & Stroke.  A correct match to the engine's stroke is far more important than an exact match to displacement.
C: Exhaust System Design

If you pick these close to your engine, the autotune will take care of the rest.  Please remember it takes time for the autotune system to make corrections and you must help it along by riding at steady throttle positions and RPM ranges.  This might take 500 miles of deliberate riding to get to tune in.  The decel popping should go away as the bike tunes.

List your engine specs and let's see what map I would start with.

Regards,
NC
107ci, 11:1,T-Man Stage 3 Heads, T-Man TR-662 cam, HPI 51mm TB, Feuling plate/SP

Ultraman

May 15, 2009, 06:21:11 AM #2 Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 06:28:06 AM by Ultraman
        Thanks for the reply nc-renegade. Started out with map 446 but now I see 539 might be a better fit as I still have stock heads for an 02. Noticed now the 446 map specifies 05 heads. I installed the unit last weekend so the miles are not on it yet. I also read someones post, something about stopping every 15 minutes to allow it to learn? I did not see that in the manual though. So far it's been worth the money in entertainment alone! :teeth:

02 Ultra, stage II
95" w/SE 3.875" flats
02 heads and injectors 4.22
SE 302 cams
K & N A/C
V & H true dual headers
SuperTrapp tuneable slip ons.
                                                             Thanks again, Todd

nc-renegade

Quote from: Ultraman on May 15, 2009, 06:21:11 AM
        Thanks for the reply nc-renegade. Started out with map 446 but now I see 539 might be a better fit as I still have stock heads for an 02. Noticed now the 446 map specifies 05 heads. I installed the unit last weekend so the miles are not on it yet. I also read someones post, something about stopping every 15 minutes to allow it to learn? I did not see that in the manual though. So far it's been worth the money in entertainment alone! :teeth:

02 Ultra, stage II
95" w/SE 3.875" flats
02 heads and injectors 4.22
SE 302 cams
K & N A/C
V & H true dual headers
SuperTrapp tuneable slip ons.
                                                             Thanks again, Todd

You meant the SE 203 cam, correct?  The map file 539 is almost an exact match.  Load that one and clear out all your learned offsets and IAC and start over.

The 15 minute deal you refer to is not exactly right.  The autotune will only change (or adjust) the base map by 5% during anyone session; with a session defined as a start and stop cycle.  So you need to ride at different (and steady) RPM and TPS ranges and let the unit dial in, but remember it will only self adjust by 5 % max during any one session.  You can increase this value under the Closed Loop Configuration menu.  I usually max it out at 10% while it's learning.

The key is give it time.  If you can, run a laptop in your saddle bag and let it record so you know if you are way lean and you can see the unit adjusting.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
NC
107ci, 11:1,T-Man Stage 3 Heads, T-Man TR-662 cam, HPI 51mm TB, Feuling plate/SP

Ultraman

Bang on NC, That did the trick, smoothed out the running and no more decel pop. Thanks again, now I'm off to a good start now.

Paniolo

NC Renegade,

The MAP that Zippers suggested for my build worked great, but my mpgs were poor, 33-35mpg. The base line afr was 13.542. I am hoping for 38-42 mpgs and tried leaning it out in the cruise range of 1,750rpms and higher to 13.831 while keeping idle and just off idle at 13.542. I took the bike out for a spin and it seemed to run fine however I did feel a bit more heat coming off the engine. Could I send you my MAP for review?

Here is my build

2001 Ultra
Zippers 50mm TB with large Zippers air cleaner
Zippers T-Max with close loop (M&M conversion kit ECM)
AMS 96.5" kit
AMS Heads
Andrews 26G cams
Stock header pipes with OEM crossover
3:37 gearing
Rinehart slip on mufflers

Thanks

Mark
Life can only be lived in the present moment.

nc-renegade

Quote from: Paniolo on May 15, 2009, 04:36:30 PM
NC Renegade,

The MAP that Zippers suggested for my build worked great, but my mpgs were poor, 33-35mpg. The base line afr was 13.542. I am hoping for 38-42 mpgs and tried leaning it out in the cruise range of 1,750rpms and higher to 13.831 while keeping idle and just off idle at 13.542. I took the bike out for a spin and it seemed to run fine however I did feel a bit more heat coming off the engine. Could I send you my MAP for review?

Sure, send it to nc-renegade at hotmail dot com

You really should not of notice any additional heat from 13.8 at cruise.  I would take it up more, perhaps to 14.2:1 at cruise.

Paniolo

NC-Renegade,

I just sent you an e-mail.

Mark

Quote from: nc-renegade on May 15, 2009, 09:48:50 PM
Quote from: Paniolo on May 15, 2009, 04:36:30 PM
NC Renegade,

Sure, send it to nc-renegade at hotmail dot com

You really should not of notice any additional heat from 13.8 at cruise.  I would take it up more, perhaps to 14.2:1 at cruise.
Life can only be lived in the present moment.

nc-renegade

Quote from: Paniolo on May 16, 2009, 07:28:05 AM
NC-Renegade,

I just sent you an e-mail.

Mark

Mark,
I got it and will modify for your review.

Regards,
NC

mayor

NC, can you share your findings for the rest of us T-max newbies. 
warning, this poster suffers from bizarre delusions

nc-renegade

Quote from: mayor on May 17, 2009, 04:56:27 AM
NC, can you share your findings for the rest of us T-max newbies. 

Mayor,
I kept his idle AFR at 13.5 and started to lean up his partial cruise AFRs to 13.8 and his cruise ranges to 14.3:1.  This should improve his MPG, yet keep his WOT rich.

He will need to run the map I sent him and let the autotune tune to the AFR.  One point is the %change per session.  Since I moved the AFR a bit, it will take time to tune in.