May 05, 2024, 10:59:51 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

40 inch 1 7/8 dia. Drag Pipes with built in Power Cones,,,,,, Pro's Con's ?

Started by Hindgrinder, May 14, 2009, 12:23:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hindgrinder

Ok, so it's not a new topic, exhaust I mean, here's the story,,,,
'89 883 stock pipes with Samson slip-ons, Super "E" with some prep to the intake manifold to reomve sharp edges and smooth out the flow a bit.
Dyno'ed at 52hp,
krunched forward pipe on a lay down, going slow,,, damn Vivoden's,,,,,,,
anyway, the local shop has a set of "Python's", been on the wall a while, they're 1 7/8 dia. with a power cone ridge built in.
they also require a baffel, the shop owner recommened cutting the baffel in half,,, the dfyno guys said they just tested one with the baffels out and lost 8hp when they installed the full baffel, no info on a half cut baffel,,,,,
So the power cone stalls the sonic and thermal waves, dose the 40" length help any in mid range?

I may never notice the loss of hp just cause I rarley screw the trottle on more than half way 90% of the time anyway,,,,

Specs and numbers on any research, most sites state power loss in mid range with 1 3/4 pipes, these are a bit bigger so it should slow the flow and maybe give some back pressure in mid range?

When I pulled the stock pipes off I found that the cross over pipe gasket was gone and it had been blowing by for a while,,,,

Well, thanks in advance for any help here gang,,,,,

mayor

it's not the loss in HP that you will notice.....it's the loss in torque.  IMO drag pipes are not a performance pipe and the 1 7/8" pipe is not going to give your 883 enough back pressure.  Unless you just want to make noise, you might want to reconsider your exhaust choice. 
warning, this poster suffers from bizarre delusions

Hillside Motorcycle

If you MUST run a "drag" pipe, then a 1 1/2" long, 1/4" bolt, with 5/16" nuts stacked on it.
Has worked for us for about 20 years.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"