May 04, 2024, 08:59:15 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

sloppy crank sprocket fit

Started by zoot, November 11, 2008, 07:10:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zoot

While changing out the cams in my  07 fxdb   I noticed that the crank sprocket had a sloppy fit.The sprocket could be moved CW and CCW on the crank a bit. Not much but still some movement. Where as the cam sprocket was a nice tight fit and I would have thought it would be the same for the crank sprocket.   Is this how it is?     This is the first TC I have worked with.   

Another micky mouse thing I think is that there are no cam bearings in the cam plate.There was a bronze one for where the crank comes through it, why not bronze ones for the cams also.   Just the  aluminium the plate was made with.     What where they thinking? 

On the better part the SE 204 cams are ok cams. Nice change in the power band ,louder exhaust tone and a rumpty bump idle.   Walt

PoorUB

Quote from: zoot on November 11, 2008, 07:10:48 PM

Another micky mouse thing I think is that there are no cam bearings in the cam plate.There was a bronze one for where the crank comes through it, why not bronze ones for the cams also.   Just the  aluminium the plate was made with.     What where they thinking? 

Just like pretty much every aluminum over head cam automobile head made! The "bearing" is the pressurized film of oil. Great improvement over ball or roller bearings in my opinion!
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Billy

Walt, don't worry about it. Not enough to make a difference.

The plain metal bearings are fine, oil fed proven technology.

Ride and enjoy!
Lazyness is the Mother of Invention

igofar

I too found the crank sprocket a very loose fit.
I tried a new sprocket and it was the same.
I suppose if you had a degree wheel, you could set the cam timing where is should be.
By holding the sprocket all the way one way or the other while tightening the bolt, you are effectively advancing or retarding the cam timing.
I put a shim in between the sprocket and crank to make sure it went together "straight up."
The movement only equals a few degrees but guys used to use 4* keys to move their cams around........

As far as the bearings being gone, parent material bushings are nothing new. The only drawback is when it comes time for a rebuild, it is replace not repair.

Brad