May 08, 2024, 01:05:15 PM

News:

New engine design

Started by Reddog74usa, April 05, 2019, 07:58:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reddog74usa

RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

Ohio HD

mmeehhh....     glad I have lots of Twin Cam parts and extra motors and transmissions....       

sfmichael

Quote from: Ohio HD on April 05, 2019, 08:15:28 PM
mmeehhh....    glad I have lots of Twin Cam parts and extra motors and transmissions....     

:agree:

I have 3 Twin Cam bikes...and getting too old to keep buying new - too much depreciation
Colorado Springs, CO.

Nastytls

Those new engines will be in bikes HD has never considered building before, which to me is exciting.  I hope they don't get in their own way and ruin it with lousy engineering and absurd pricing....

cbumdumb

I would have been interested in those bikes but after dealing with Harley's warranty and an out of state purchase of my 19 and my 18 rgu the hell with them . As soon as the other panels on this bike blister it is going to be stripped and repainted as as a tribute bike to Harley's warranty it all badges installed painted or machined with up side down logos.

PoorUB

Quote from: Nastytls on April 06, 2019, 02:07:09 AM
Those new engines will be in bikes HD has never considered building before, which to me is exciting.  I hope they don't get in their own way and ruin it with lousy engineering and absurd pricing....

I am happy to see them stepping out of their comfort zone and building something completely new, other than the continual revisions of an antiquated engine designed decades ago. On the other hand, i am not convinced they will pull it off!
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

chopper

Got a case of dynamite, I could hold out here all night

Nastytls

Chain on the Pan America, belt on the Street Fighter & Custom

akjeff

Obviously, these are to power small to mid sized bikes, so I doubt the M8 is going away any time soon. If they can produce a compact, lighter weight motor that puts out good power, I say go for it! I'd love to see a USA made(mostly) adventure bike that would compare with my F800GS. Rather have an American machine under me, when playing in the gravel. Good to see them try new things and compete, as opposed to standing around, waiting for the ship to sink.
'09 FLTR/120R/'91 XL1250 street tracker project/'07 DR-Z400S

JW113

They obviously can't keep making air cooled engines forever as emmisions restrictions continue to get tougher, so I applaud them for that. But the styling/industrial design of these new bikes? Three emotions come to mind.
:sick:
:hyst:
:turd:

I think HD needs to set up a styling team in Japan. And Italy...

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Buglet

I do not think the motors are going to be built in the USA.

IronButt70

Looks like a new design of the V-Rod motor to me. Still say HD screwed up big time by not developing that motor for the baggers.
No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

rbabos

Quote from: IronButt70 on April 06, 2019, 11:50:36 AM
Looks like a new design of the V-Rod motor to me. Still say HD screwed up big time by not developing that motor for the baggers.
Similar with rearranged parts and dual ignition. They have a tough act to follow to get those engines in the same durability and quality of the Revolution. It still is the best they ever built.
Ron

JW113

Perhaps until you have to rebuild one. I just saw on all apart on a shop workbench. Holy crap! Just a guess, perhaps three times the number of parts as the typical air cooled big twin?

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Maddo Snr

Quote from: PoorUB on April 06, 2019, 05:43:05 AM

I am happy to see them stepping out of their comfort zone and building something completely new, other than the continual revisions of an antiquated engine designed decades ago. On the other hand, i am not convinced they will pull it off!

It was their sticking to tradition and NOT chasing the status quo that's kept them afloat for the last 30 years. Going head-to-head against the KTMs and Hondas of the motorcycling world can only end one way (and it ain't pretty)
2018 FLHX 107
Rinehart 45s, SE cleaner, TTS MasterTune. 92/108

calif phil

It was their sticking to tradition and NOT chasing the status quo that's kept them afloat for the last 30 years. Going head-to-head against the KTMs and Hondas of the motorcycling world can only end one way (and it ain't pretty)
[/quote]

:up: :up: :up: :up:

capn

Its always us "traditional" riders that bail HD out.

rhuff

Quote from: capn on April 09, 2019, 09:00:40 AM
Its always us "traditional" riders that bail HD out.

I would argue that you "traditional" riders are doing a poor job then.

Mattbastard

Interesting design concept.  Stacked transmission right behind the crankshaft in a common casting is innovative for HD.  My speculation is wondering who's actually behind this design.  Rotax? 

I am interested to see how it pans out in the few years after production. 

PoorUB

Harley has never been inovative. Always a few years behind technology wise. Certainly the customers drove this to a certain point,  but HD could have been pushing a bit harder to advance faster than they have, but then settling for the masses was cheaper than trying to keep up with technology. 

Even when HD did step out, the VRod for example they seem to miss the mark and build a machine that nobody wants. The VRod was a weird  set up, long wheel base, heavy, weird styling.

I got a kick out of it when they bought, then killed Buell. That 1125 Rotax was a great engine and I thought that perhaps riders would take Buell a bit more under consideration,  but then HD pulled the plug. I never understood putting the warmed up Sporty engine in a "new" motorcycle. certainly not in a sportbike  frame. I realize they had a following,  but it wasn't enough.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Pete_Vit

Quote from: Mattbastard on April 09, 2019, 11:28:18 AM
Interesting design concept.  Stacked transmission right behind the crankshaft in a common casting is innovative for HD.  My speculation is wondering who's actually behind this design.  Rotax? 

looks/sounds like a liquid cooled Sporty motor, engine/tranny in one ? did I read that right ?
93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS - 2010 Ultra Glide Classic
www.facebook.com/harleypartsch

rbabos

Quote from: PoorUB on April 09, 2019, 11:37:57 AM
Harley has never been inovative. Always a few years behind technology wise. Certainly the customers drove this to a certain point,  but HD could have been pushing a bit harder to advance faster than they have, but then settling for the masses was cheaper than trying to keep up with technology. 

Even when HD did step out, the VRod for example they seem to miss the mark and build a machine that nobody wants. The VRod was a weird  set up, long wheel base, heavy, weird styling.

I got a kick out of it when they bought, then killed Buell. That 1125 Rotax was a great engine and I thought that perhaps riders would take Buell a bit more under consideration,  but then HD pulled the plug. I never understood putting the warmed up Sporty engine in a "new" motorcycle. certainly not in a sportbike  frame. I realize they had a following,  but it wasn't enough.
It was more of a USA hate on them from what I see, mostly due to traditional mind sets.  They love those things everywhere else especially when it comes to SC , turbo and all around customization. Even I was shocked when I ventured into the v rod FB groups. To date, this has been the best bike I've owned. Like I mentioned HD has it's work cut out for them equaling this engine. Maybe Porsche helped on these also, I don't know?
Ron

Maddo Snr

Harley has never been inovative. Always a few years behind technology wise...

That's a bit hard on the MoCo UB, from working on basically every brand, I rate the MoCo #1 for its electrical and systems tech. Manuals and documentation also #1. The Rushmore chassis angles are way better than any other tourer, so sweet they make the terrible suspension look passable. I did a nice 350 mile loop on my FLHX today, it's a lovely bike.
2018 FLHX 107
Rinehart 45s, SE cleaner, TTS MasterTune. 92/108

Mattbastard

Quote from: Pete_Vit on April 09, 2019, 11:51:54 AM
Quote from: Mattbastard on April 09, 2019, 11:28:18 AM

looks/sounds like a liquid cooled Sporty motor, engine/tranny in one ? did I read that right ?

Yup, which I'd bet is a near term objective for this new motor after it's proved itself as a worthy replacement for the Evo Sportster (which has been around in its current state for over three decades, 1986)

Nastytls

Quote from: Maddo Snr on April 10, 2019, 03:00:24 AM
Harley has never been inovative. Always a few years behind technology wise...

That's a bit hard on the MoCo UB, from working on basically every brand, I rate the MoCo #1 for its electrical and systems tech. Manuals and documentation also #1. The Rushmore chassis angles are way better than any other tourer, so sweet they make the terrible suspension look passable. I did a nice 350 mile loop on my FLHX today, it's a lovely bike.

:scratch: Current Japanese and European motorcycles have incredible tech built in to them i.e. multi level traction control, multi level ABS, multi level power delivery, electronically adjustable suspension etc etc etc..  You're trying to say that what HD is running is superior to that?? Not to mention Indian that have a rider interface that is significantly quicker and more user friendly than HD's.

And HD's chassis is better than a BMW, or a Honda Goldwing??  Goldwing's can practically be ridden at a sport bike's pace despite being a huge tourer, and BMW is in a different league as well...

Let's hope these new bikes they're producing will be the start of a new trend for HD.