May 03, 2024, 05:45:41 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Suspension upgrade for RK?

Started by starrider, May 13, 2019, 11:04:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PoorUB

Well, I put on the HD Premium shocks yesterday and went for a ride. Are they better? Marginally, not worth spending the money on them, IMO. Still thumped over every expansion joint. With me riding solo I could not back them off to get any sag to speak of. I didn't measure the sag, but I sure did not feel the suspension compress when I put my weight on the seat. Maybe they are better for you larger guys, I weight a big 185 lbs. Maybe if i toss my hundred pound wife on the back!
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Jim Bronson

Your impressions are the same as mine. I weigh the same and have the preload set to 1 IIRC. I see very little difference - certainly not worth the price.
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

PoorUB

I was considering longer shocks with a bit more travel but fully extended with the stock shocks and the mufflers will get in the way with anything  longer. :banghead:
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Propflux01

Quote from: Admiral Akbar on May 31, 2019, 07:05:13 PM
Quote from: JW113 on May 30, 2019, 06:54:35 PM
Quote from: boggart on May 30, 2019, 12:41:48 PM
I'd say if your ohlins ride like no suspension, they're either not set correctly or are in desperate need of a rebuild.  Possibly even need different springs. 

It rode like this from day one. So I'm pretty sure they do not need a rebuild. I followed the instructions that Howard gave me, i.e. set sag at 1/3 the total travel with rider, which was about 1-1/4" inches. Really, the bottom line is that when you only have about 2 more inches of travel from neutral ride, you have no option but to have springs heavy enough to keep the shock from bottoming out. And the reality is, 2" of travel is a joke. Would you put springs/shocks on your car with only 2" of travel? Double that and you have something to work with. You know, like the Japanese and Germans and Italians do?

Oh, and about the damping adjustment... The type of Ohlins shocks that I had wanted did have damping adjustment. After talking to How-weird, or rather being talked AT by How-weird, he sold me a set of his "custom tuned Ohlins Blackline" shocks. Didn't mention they had no damping control! I am done with throwing money at this suspension crap, and just live with what I got. I am convinced that this whole quest for improved suspension on a big, heavy, low riding, freakin' Harley Davidson is like a quest for the Holy Grail. It don't exist!

Whew. Glad I got that out.
:SM:

-JW

Don't compare Howard's shocks to genuine Ohlin's.  Totally different animal.

1/3 the total shock travel for sag? I thought it was 1/2 inch...  :scratch:
A Shovel And A 55-Gallon Drum Can Solve Alot Of Life's Little "Issues"...

JW113

If you ride only on glass smooth roads, 1/2" is probably fine. Heck, in that case a hardtail is probably fine. Certainly is not the world I ride in though.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber