April 27, 2024, 11:53:50 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Dunlop tires

Started by tomcat64, May 29, 2019, 12:50:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat64

So the wife and I finally got our on the road last Sunday for a few hundred miles and during the ride I noticed that my rear tire is getting close to replacement time. I just looked and I have just a shade over 13,000 miles on this tire. mostly 2 up riding, pulling a trailer around 5,000 miles of the total, and with my stage 5 tire shredder, I'm not light on the throttle. I'm pretty damn impressed, that is the most miles I've ever gotten and the  only thing I've done differently is keeping up on tire pressure..

bobrk1

Yeah  been  using  them  since  97 when  I  bought  a  road  king  new,never  had  a  issue  in rain  mileage  is good . A friend  ran a set  of michelen  said  that  in the  rain  kept  breaking  loose 

Moparnut72

Which Dunlop was it?
kk
If you find yourself in a fair fight,
You didn't prepare properly.

fbn ent

Quote from: bobrk1 on May 29, 2019, 04:36:00 PM
Yeah  been  using  them  since  97 when  I  bought  a  road  king  new,never  had  a  issue  in rain  mileage  is good . A friend  ran a set  of michelen  said  that  in the  rain  kept  breaking  loose

I've broken loose running 402s... :turd: :doh:
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

92flhtcu

Tomcat-was it the OEM 407T or an American Elite? assuming a touring chassis bike.....
Need a bigger garage

crock

Quote from: 92flhtcu on May 29, 2019, 06:31:50 PM
Tomcat-was it the OEM 407T or an American Elite? assuming a touring chassis bike.....

Getting ready to pull the trigger myself so ???????????
Crock

SixShooter14

FWIW, I'm having a set of American Elites being put on right now. I'll try to remember to keep y'all posted on them.
'97 Road King, Rinehart True Dual, HSR42, 10:1, EVL3010, 2000i

tomcat64

Quote from: crock on May 30, 2019, 04:47:10 AM
Quote from: 92flhtcu on May 29, 2019, 06:31:50 PM

Getting ready to pull the trigger myself so ???????????

44006-09 OEM tire..

tbird

I only got 10,000 miles out of a American elite. Same bike previous tire E3 got 12,000.   The front American elite the cords broke. I am anal about tire pressure. I wouldn't put American elites on my lawn mower.

PoorUB

Quote from: tbird on May 30, 2019, 08:54:07 AM
I only got 10,000 miles out of a American elite. Same bike previous tire E3 got 12,000.   The front American elite the cords broke. I am anal about tire pressure. I wouldn't put American elites on my lawn mower.

Strange!  My buddy and I have run through several  sets of American  Elites with no issues.  They are my go to tire for a bagger.

What model of motorcycle were you running them on?
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Moparnut72

Thanks, I got 9,300 out of my OEM 402. It would have made 10,000 but I was getting ready for the riding season so I went ahead and replaced it. The front will probably make it to the next rear change unless the AE goes a lot further. My Indy says it will last longer. We will see.
kk
If you find yourself in a fair fight,
You didn't prepare properly.

jsachs1

I use American Elites on both of my big bikes. No problems dry or wet or over 120 mph. :up:
John

92flhtcu

Tomcat-Thanks, going to try the Am-Elite? Same recipe as the 407T, just different tread pattern

TBird-what bike? My older Mu and MT rears do not get the mileage as the 180 rears(bagger speaking), however, it is much better than the 402's, and stickier
Need a bigger garage

Teardrop

I have been buying the stock OEM tires for my 2010 Ultra Classic.
2010 Ultra Classic

Langwilliams

V rod guys hate Dunlop tires, touring guys tend to like them...show's the different riding styles of the bikes. I bet tires are like oil, everyone has their favorite brand. I had 404's on my Fatboy an they seemed to skid too easily on a light bike. I have Michelin's on my SG an they seem great so far.

tbird

07 ultra  I believe the mu or 140

92flhtcu

TBird-yep, those sizes do not get the mileage like the 180, I'd say 10k is my normal rear mileage on the American elite, to me for the few extra bucks over the 402's and the better traction wet and dry is well worth it
So back to Tomcat-what is going on it this time?
Need a bigger garage

Hossamania

My indie has told me that the Elites are a little cheaper the oem tires.
I got almost 20,000 miles out of an oem front and Elite rear, but they were not happy together toward the end, too much head shake, waited too long to change them. New Elites front and rear now, they handle great, I expect to get at least 15,000 out of them. This on a '12 Ultra.
On my old RoadKing, I get about 12,000 out of rear Elite, at least 4000 more than the stock Dunlop.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

tomcat64

Quote from: 92flhtcu on May 31, 2019, 04:38:02 AM
TBird-yep, those sizes do not get the mileage like the 180, I'd say 10k is my normal rear mileage on the American elite, to me for the few extra bucks over the 402's and the better traction wet and dry is well worth it
So back to Tomcat-what is going on it this time?

I ain't messing with anything, putting the same back on..

Pete_Vit

Quote from: fbn ent on May 29, 2019, 05:13:08 PM
Quote from: bobrk1 on May 29, 2019, 04:36:00 PM

I've broken loose running 402s... :turd: :doh:
me too, wet roads felt like ice, Michilins CII's and so far the Avon Cobra's for me are great on the interslab and twisties on my Softtail
93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS - 2010 Ultra Glide Classic
www.facebook.com/harleypartsch

fbn ent

I've wondered about the Elites but I have been running Avons forever and it's hard to switch to try them.. 
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

Hossamania

Quote from: fbn ent on May 31, 2019, 02:16:59 PM
I've wondered about the Elites but I have been running Avons forever and it's hard to switch to try them..

I go the other way, I've heard a lot about Avons, but it's hard to switch away from Elites.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

tbird

1workinman

Quote from: jsachs1 on May 30, 2019, 03:31:28 PM
I use American Elites on both of my big bikes. No problems dry or wet or over 120 mph. :up:
John
Sir that getting it done lol .I been using the Michelin Commander II on both of my money pits  > Do you think I be better off with the American Elites . I don't take my bikes to the track , just ride with a few friends that again