May 04, 2024, 09:24:25 AM

News:

new mcr performance heads

Started by 05softail, November 12, 2008, 04:33:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

05softail

Hey guys!

Has anyone personally seen or used these. They are the newest version of the se performance 88-95,96" heads pn# 16952-08, 16953-08 (black and silver respectively).  The info is limited in the catalog. It does mention the need for 06 and newer intake flanges. Do these heads have the newer 06 and up raised intake ports? 

I'm interested do to lack of downtime since this is a daily driver as apposed to having my heads sent out. Not taking away from our fine machinist here, but bolt-on is my better option (I don't own a car)

I have 37n conversion cams, jugs and slugs ready. still gathering the other requires conversion cam items.

I know they have been talked about briefly but couldn't find any specifics on the old htt. Any specific info would be greatly appreciated as I will be ready to pull the trigger right after Christmas.

Thanks!

Rich

Eglider05

Pick up some used heads on Ebay or possibly for sale in the swap meet section and send them out to one of the excellent motor builders here on the forum. I bet you'll be happier and probably have money left over.

Rick

Flat Dog

November 12, 2008, 07:08:30 AM #2 Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 07:10:06 AM by Photo John
Ditto what Rick said, unless the 'Screamin Eagle' logo makes that much of a difference to you. I prefer to not advertise for the MoCo any more than I have to. ;)

From what I have seen dyno wise, SE heads rarely flow as well as custom ported heads. Some companies will sometimes have heads in stock as well.

Bakon

You sure on your cam selection. Those heads will take quite a bit more lift and you would be wasting them on only .510.
wasting time

KingofCubes

In my experience you don't want to lift those huge valves very much on a small inch engine because the velocity is so poor and higher lift makes things slower yet.

Don D

Quote from: 05softail on November 12, 2008, 04:33:08 AM
Hey guys!

Has anyone personally seen or used these. They are the newest version of the se performance 88-95,96" heads pn# 16952-08, 16953-08 (black and silver respectively).  The info is limited in the catalog. It does mention the need for 06 and newer intake flanges. Do these heads have the newer 06 and up raised intake ports? 

I'm interested do to lack of downtime since this is a daily driver as apposed to having my heads sent out. Not taking away from our fine machinist here, but bolt-on is my better option (I don't own a car)

I have 37n conversion cams, jugs and slugs ready. still gathering the other requires conversion cam items.

I know they have been talked about briefly but couldn't find any specifics on the old htt. Any specific info would be greatly appreciated as I will be ready to pull the trigger right after Christmas.

Thanks!

Rich

Would be on the cutting edge of compression with 37s and those heads at 96" and while the heads are off why not go 103" for a small upgrade cost. A blueprint is wise on these heads and the S&S 585 at 103" would be my choice. Same head as the early SE Pro heads used for the HIPPO build but 06 flanges

05softail

Thanks guys!

I guess a used set or take offs sent out to be worked over may be my best option. I'll do some pricing and come up with a plan. Convenience and a tight budget are my biggest concerns.

Don. I wasn't aware the castings were the same as the previous SE's, except for the intake flange requirement. That was the root of my question since there has been plenty said about the se performance heads in years past. The se catalog mentioned the newer flanges so I was hoping they also had the raised (and typically praised) intake ports.  Thanks for clearing that up.    :up:

Bakon

Quote from: KingofCubes on November 12, 2008, 12:53:49 PM
In my experience you don't want to lift those huge valves very much on a small inch engine because the velocity is so poor and higher lift makes things slower yet.
I know your in the business, and read your posts, but these heads have been lifted to .570 with flat tops at 10:1 for years on a 95. This is a 96 with faster piston speed due to stroke, wouldnt that make better velocity than an old 95? I ran them with a .577 lift at 10.5:1 on an Ultra with great results, again at 95 inches. They are reported to fall off in flow above .550 but reaching .570 means passing .550 earlier.
wasting time