April 27, 2024, 01:46:10 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Would a bad compensator effect power output

Started by ReapersWG, July 17, 2019, 09:06:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReapersWG

Was asked this question by a friend whos 107 build is down over 10 hp on the same dyno as last year. Bike runs great compression is same  as when first built. Has original stock comp bike is a 2011 wide glide with 25k miles. He thought  it had the SE version and has done alot of rolling burnouts with it I'm really surprised its lasted this long along with his crank. I wouldnt think hp levels would be effected though thoughts?

rbabos

July 17, 2019, 10:03:55 AM #1 Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 10:11:16 AM by rbabos
Won't make any difference. Once it reaches the limit of the springs, which is nowhere near max engine power it will be direct drive with no comp effect. Comps are designed for the smoothest cruise power setting pulses, not WFO max load conditions. If he has no starter bang on startup, which technically is the sound of the spring pack bottoming out he likely has some version of the SE comp. The original 07 comp that was used up to year xxxx ( I forget now) was a joke, likely designed by a 5 year old at MoCo. It did nothing well but it also will not rob hp. There are some gains with hp increase by removing the mass of the HD comp and going with a lighter direct drive if you can handle the trade offs.
Ron

ReapersWG

I didnt think it would effect maximum power output.  He does have the starte kickback you mentioned and it is the original stock compensator. He has ordered the newest SE version and also plans on going with the manual chain adjuster also I think. Its definitely making some noise especially when cold and between 2200 to 2600 rpms so cruising range. Says it quiets down some above that but probably wind noise drowning out the noise in my opinion. His front motor mount was also toast already replaced that.

kd

Doing lots of burnouts with a non prepped crank could have caused the wheels to shift effecting the oil pump scavanging.  If the engine is now dumping a power loss would / could show up too.
KD