May 03, 2024, 08:09:34 PM

News:

valve compressor tool

Started by bdeuce, November 12, 2008, 04:54:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bdeuce

has anybody used the tool from nub tools to remove the valve spring.i need to r/r my vavle seals thinking i might do it myself .i have a shop manul ,if i remove the rocker cover an unload the valve train can i just pull off the old seal while pressizing the cyl with air.i am no wrench the tool is 275.00 plus i will need torx wrench

hdrider

Quote from: bdeuce on November 12, 2008, 04:54:37 AM
has anybody used the tool from nub tools to remove the valve spring.i need to r/r my valvle seals thinking i might do it myself .i have a shop manul ,if i remove the rocker cover an unload the valve train can i just pull off the old seal while pressizing the cyl with air.i am no wrench the tool is 275.00 plus i will need torx wrench

You're definitely not a wrench based on your question.

The seals are under the valve springs, so you need to remove the springs to get to them.  I don't know of any way to do this without removing the heads first.  If you don't currently own a torque wrench and are concerned about buying a few special tools, I'd leave this job to either a dealer or independent shop.  It does not sound like you are sufficiently mechanically experienced to tackle this type of job.

wrenchspinner3

HD rider, check out this link:

http://irvingcustoms.back40cms.com/nub-tools/

For what it is worth, way back I fabricated just such a tool to use on Evo's for cam changes requiring performance springs (where clearances where a known quantity). It worked like a charm, using a spark plug fitting from a leak down tester to pressurize the cylinder. I wasn't going as far as changing the seals, which may have been a little trickier than just changing the springs, but it worked like a charm.

4DWUDS

You can also fill the cylinder with small diameter rope through the spark plug hole, run the piston up and compress the rope against the valve face. Works fine if a source of compressed air is not available.
To Err is human, To Forgive Divine. Neither of which is Marine Corps Policy.

hdrider

I stand corrected.  I guess if there's a will there's a way.  My only experience has been the old fashioned way of removing the heads -- of course I had other things to do other than just replace valve seals at the time.

Thank you both for your enlightenment.

FSG

and here's one that was posted on the old site

PoorUB

Quote from: bdeuce on November 12, 2008, 04:54:37 AM
has anybody used the tool from nub tools to remove the valve spring.i need to r/r my valve seals thinking i might do it myself .i have a shop manual ,if i remove the rocker cover an unload the valve train can i just pull off the old seal while pressizing the cyl with air.i am no wrench the tool is 275.00 plus i will need torx wrench

If you are at all comfortable with tools I would give it a try. Personally I would skip the tool for compressing the valve springs an see if I could fab up something to do the job. Also it is not a big deal to make a sparkplug/air hose adaptor. If tools are limited then perhaps it would be best to buy the appropriate tools to get it done. When putting the seals back in place be sure the valve stem is free of burrs. Sliding a valve seal over a rough valve stem is sure to fudge up the new seal. Often the keeper grooves with get burrs from the keepers. Carefull use of a fine file will take care of that problem.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

waskier01

I'm looking for a pneumatic compressor.  Anybody have an idea where to buy one cheap.

hdrider

Quote from: waskier01 on November 15, 2008, 07:11:19 AM
I'm looking for a pneumatic compressor.  Anybody have an idea where to buy one cheap.

I'd probably look at Harbour Freight first, then e-bay.