April 27, 2024, 03:46:27 AM

News:

Shavin your comp nut

Started by Y2KRKNG, July 11, 2019, 08:34:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Y2KRKNG

I read here that .0050 should be taken off the comp nut for extra squeeze on the spring pack of an early TC comp. Then a post that it's only for the 04-05 comps. Clarification please.
My comp is making a clicking noise at idle that is not terribly loud, but I notice it. There's a slight chance it didn't get full tq about 3k miles ago when I did the engine rebuild, but I figure it would have fell off by now if that was the problem.
ATP(TurboHarry)95",Mik45,Branch/Mik "Flowmetric" heads,TW55,T.Header 2-1

Don D

If it is not clamped it will be more than clicking, it will be a dull thud

Y2KRKNG

Well it's either the chain slapping or the comp doing it job. I'll pay more attn. to it after a long ride to see if its still there to rule out the chain.

djl

A click would point to chain snapping the chain case cover.  Recently had to adjust the chain on my '05 FXSTD to stop an intermittent tap at idle.  The noise was more than what I would call a click but it was chain making contact with the cover. :wink:

Y2KRKNG

Quote from: djl on July 11, 2019, 12:40:55 PM
A click would point to chain snapping the chain case cover.  Recently had to adjust the chain on my '05 FXSTD to stop an intermittent tap at idle.  The noise was more than what I would call a click but it was chain making contact with the cover. :wink:

Yep, same noise here. 60miles of some hard fast riding and no more chain-slap tap. Sooo, I wonder if a loose pri chain would cause my hard to find N. Actually it's impossible to find unless you run it up to 1800rpm cold and much easier to get into N after it's hot.

Hossamania

Does your primary have the chain inspection plate? Easy enough to adjust the chain, or at least check it.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Y2KRKNG

Quote from: Hossamania on July 11, 2019, 01:37:11 PM
Does your primary have the chain inspection plate? Easy enough to adjust the chain, or at least check it.
Yes, And I agree 100% I was airing on the sign of caution figuring a little loose is better that tight, but slapping when cold is too loose obviously.

Hossamania

Your adjuster shoe may be worn, causing adjustment hard to get right. It may even be cracked after all these years. Give it a good look over.
Hopefully a simple adjustment will solve your issue.

Y2KRKNG

Quote from: Hossamania on July 12, 2019, 05:26:38 AM
Your adjuster shoe may be worn, causing adjustment hard to get right. It may even be cracked after all these years. Give it a good look over.
Hopefully a simple adjustment will solve your issue.
New shoe installed with engine rebuild a couple thousand miles ago the chain adjuster was starting to come apart super loose she's all tightened up again locking tabs engaged fully should be G2G

Hossamania