May 04, 2024, 12:54:53 AM

News:

Hydraulic Clutch and the High Torque Bike

Started by Mix01FLHT, November 12, 2008, 05:43:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mix01FLHT

Anybody using a hydraulic clutch with a high torque bike?  Does it work?

thanks  :smiled:
01FLHT/95/HTCCcnc/.03hg/S&S585/mik48/THeadhybred/SErollerrockers/chainfinaldrive

TXChop

Going through that right now actually. I have a bike with about 125tq and the hyd clutch. The s/e spring only held it for about 8k miles. I am adding barnett extra plate kit in a couple weeks. If that doesnt work i will be looking at scorpion.

A VPC can be added right on top of it and it will hold whatever you throw at it depending on the unit.

hrdtail78

It will depend on your clutch.  Not how it is acuated.  Usually hyd clutchs have better leverage than a cable, and the handle moves easier.  You set your adjustment screw the same.
Semper Fi

TXChop

Quote from: hrdtail78 on November 12, 2008, 06:48:50 AM
.  You set your adjustment screw the same.
That depends on which kit. The HD kit, leaves no adjustment. Some of the aftermarkets kits do though.

Deye76

Some of the aftermarket ones take 2 men and a boy to pull the lever.
hardtail anf txchop are right on.
I have a H-D hydraulic set up and like it very much. Pushing a lot of tq through the stock clutch pac usually requires something more than just a SE spring. I have a stock clutch, SE spring and a VPC with over 45,000 miles on and so far handles in excess of 130tq. Any of the hiperf units out there work OK, it all depends on your wallet. 
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

HIPPO

How it is actuated is irrelevant as far as putting TQ through it.

HD hyd and the new post 06 ramps are a wash as far as effort.

As heavier springs are used, higher effort and higher working pressure in the case of hyd, I would trust a steel ramp-cable more then a rubber seal. Hyd is more delicate, one air bubble and you are done when on the road. Less expensive also unless already paid for.

OldFLTRider

I put a Magura "Main Street Clutch" hydraulic system on my 103 Roadglide with the SE spring and it's now as easy as a stock 06+ only smoother.  It's definitely easier than the new CVO bike with the HD hydraulic clutch.

Had a problem with the unit bleeding off pressure but contacted Magura USA and the sent a new master cylinder right out that fixed the problem. 

I'll be putting on on wifes 883 soon.
2012 FLTRX 103, HDSP heads, T-Man 577 cams, 115 HP/TQ