April 27, 2024, 03:20:21 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

100hp Sporty

Started by partner1010, November 12, 2008, 05:50:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

partner1010

I'm sure this has been covered a bunch of times, but is there a build for a 1200cc sporty to make 100hp, without nos, just the normal changes, heads, cams, pipes...etc.... Thanks in advance.

mayor

yes, by adding displacement.  EGNBLU had a 90" sportster that hit over double 100, but I wouldn't call what he did normal stuff.  Check out these guys:  http://www.nrhsperformance.com/index.shtml
warning, this poster suffers from bizarre delusions

02xl1200c

Ken in Western MD

2002 XL1200C 94.5 HP

partner1010

Thank you for the info everyone, is there anyone doing it with just 74" jugs?

02xl1200c

I dyno'd at 94.5 with stock displacement.  I don't think I could get to 100 w/o some increase in displacement.  Change your requirement to 90 HP and you'll save a ton.
Ken in Western MD

2002 XL1200C 94.5 HP

partner1010

Would you mind telling me your build?

mayor

Quote from: 02xl1200c on November 12, 2008, 10:31:09 AM
Change your requirement to 90 HP and you'll save a ton.

tooo true!

Quote from: partner1010 on November 12, 2008, 08:58:41 AM
Thank you for the info everyone, is there anyone doing it with just 74" jugs?

It could probably be done with a really good set of heads, well breathing intake and exhaust, really high compression and a fairly long cam turning at really high rpm's but why would you want that?  

mayor

Ken where in western MD?  I live in PA right above western MD. 

02xl1200c

Partner:  I have an 02 1200 Custom.  I replaced the pistons and heads with Buell Thunderstorm pistons and heads-pretty cheap upgrade.  I think the heads were 5 something and the pistons w/rings were 120.  I added the Screamin' Eagle .551 cam and Samson Caliber 2-1 pipes.  I already upgraded the ignition module to the SE and had the SE air cleaner kit and the carb thunderslide kit.  Finally, I had stage 2+ headwork done including larger valves and better springs.  That came after the initial build.  I got almost 91 HP before the headwork.  So for the $1000+ it cost me for the stage 2 job, I only got 4 HP but I got the stronger springs which is what I really wanted running the .551s.

wannabmayor: I live in Middletown, MD but spend a bunch of time in Deep Creek Lake.  How far are you from Deep Creek?
Ken in Western MD

2002 XL1200C 94.5 HP

mayor

Middletown, MD- Frederick area?  I'm about 1 1/2 hours from Deep Creek and about 1 1/2 hours from Frederick. 

where did you dyno your bike? 

02xl1200c

Ken in Western MD

2002 XL1200C 94.5 HP

Coasty

Quote from: partner1010 on November 12, 2008, 05:50:11 AM
I'm sure this has been covered a bunch of times, but is there a build for a 1200cc sporty to make 100hp, without nos, just the normal changes, heads, cams, pipes...etc.... Thanks in advance.

Zippers and other compamy have complete build kits to do so or will do it foy you.  Also ther is one company that makes a direct bolt on turbo making an EFI sporty 130 hp.
Coasty

rigidthumper

We played with the delivery drivers 05 1200C and came up with 95 HP and 82 TQ. Used SE575 cams, SE springs, SE 10.5 pistons, cleaned up his stock heads and HQ XL valves. We even used his stock, cored, mufflers. When he switched to the VH slip-ons, he dropped 4/4.
HTH
Robin
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

saltcaveminer

i have the zippers hammer kit in my 03 sporty.i have no dyno info to share with you ,they claim 120 hp.yes this requires basically gutting the cases and widening the bore and lenghtening the stroke.the engine just makes it into the frame.it is a very depenable kick ass ride.Salty

Hillside Motorcycle

We have seen north of 100 hp several times(almost a decade ago) with T/storm casting(modified by us) and Wood 9B cams, Mikuni, Supertrapp, Crane ignition. They hover at 85-88 ft/lbs.
Not that difficult.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

EGNBLU

Building a 100hp is not cheap. One thing leads to another and before you get it where you want it, you have a ton of cash invested in it. It is a blast to ride, but you have to remember you will NEVER be able to get anywhere close out of it what you put into it. I went the easiest way and went 90" 1474cc with a lot of high performance everything. It did 107hp and 108tq. Tuning is the hardest part to get right. If it is a FI bike with a SERT or PC it probably would be a little easier than finding someone that will spend the time on a carb bike with a programmable ignition. 

NRHS in Longmont CO. built mine and it runs fantastic. They do have a 1250 kit that has put out 100+hp, but you need to stick to their recipe and find a tuner.

90-95 hp is much less expensive and a lot easier to achieve.

Jimmy

Hillside Motorcycle

Quote from: EGNBLU on November 22, 2008, 10:25:37 AM
Building a 100hp is not cheap. One thing leads to another and before you get it where you want it, you have a ton of cash invested in it. It is a blast to ride, but you have to remember you will NEVER be able to get anywhere close out of it what you put into it. I went the easiest way and went 90" 1474cc with a lot of high performance everything. It did 107hp and 108tq. Tuning is the hardest part to get right. If it is a FI bike with a SERT or PC it probably would be a little easier than finding someone that will spend the time on a carb bike with a programmable ignition. 

NRHS in Longmont CO. built mine and it runs fantastic. They do have a 1250 kit that has put out 100+hp, but you need to stick to their recipe and find a tuner.

90-95 hp is much less expensive and a lot easier to achieve.

Our's were 1200cc poweplants that were north(102-104 hp SAE).
Don't have much call for them as they do come at a cost.

Jimmy
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

kevinj

Wouldn't it be alot easier to buy a wrecked buell, and use that engine in your build? You would already have a great performing engine, with the best heads, best headers,... It would also be cheaper (in the end) than trying to come up with a completely tuned engine, which will need alot of hours for fine-tuning on the dyno. Not to say that the engine's lifetime will be severely shortend when going for high compression and small (lets say stock 1200cc) displacement.

gOOseman

Yep......going north of 100HP can get pricey.......I'm living proof..........anybody wanna buy a slightly used kidney used mostly for filtering beer......need more parts.... :dgust:

gOOseman
I'm not a gynecologist but I'll take a lOOk...

Hillside Motorcycle

It'll cost about as much to go to 88" with an Axtell Cylinder kit.
Combine that with V-6 cams and they'll roll at about 90-95 hp and 100-105 ft/lbs, with OE carb and modified OE head castings.