May 06, 2024, 08:04:29 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Engine, transmission and primary oil change notes for M8

Started by Xyzzy, September 08, 2016, 06:10:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phu Cat

I drained 3 quarts and 27 ounces of oil from the engine. This includes oil from the filter. I only warmed up the engine for 5 minutes prior.

Why?  What good does that do?  I always lay out the tools for an oil change before I go on a long ride so I know my oil is appropriately hot.

PC
Too much horsepower is almost enough.

Xyzzy

Quote from: Phu Cat on July 11, 2019, 08:14:37 AM
I drained 3 quarts and 27 ounces of oil from the engine. This includes oil from the filter. I only warmed up the engine for 5 minutes prior.

Why?  What good does that do?  I always lay out the tools for an oil change before I go on a long ride so I know my oil is appropriately hot.

PC
Usually I drain the oil after a ride, just like you do.

:smilep:

I hit 5K on my RK today. It took me a bit longer than usual at 28 days. The high humidity lately has made riding a bit tough.

I had the transfer issue right out of the gate but I fixed it myself with the HD vent kit.

https://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php?topic=96613.msg1307375#msg1307375

Now I am running M1 20W50 in the engine, M1 10W40 in the chaincase and M1 75W140 in the transmission.

I have started to run the oil a little bit lower on the dipstick so I am only putting in 4 quarts. I had to add 8 ounces at 4000 miles to keep it above the fill line.

All said, the bike is working perfectly!

:smilep: