April 28, 2024, 10:01:36 AM

News:

Evo in a shovelhead frame?

Started by svlhdleo, November 12, 2008, 07:10:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

svlhdleo

I have a Paughco rigid frame with a 75 shovelhead engine and a 4 speed trans in it. I am having a heated discussion with a friend that a evo engine will not just drop in to this frame.What is required to do this job.
Leo

70weight

Just repeating what i have heard about evos in shovel frames. The only difference is the height of the cylinders. The evo won't fit in a stock shovel frame without modification but your paughco frame probably has more clearance.
I am sure others will respond that have more knowledge on this. good luck
Can't drink all day if ya don't start in the mornings.

gryphon

The biggest part is the height difference. However there is also some clearance problems between the trar cyl exhaust and the seat post. If you have room above you motor and a flattened spot on the seat post that looks like it's about even with your rear exhaust port then the frame's probably made to fit an evo also. Most aftermarket frames were built like that so they wouldn't have to be model specific. Very subtle changes. Being a rigid, it would also be fairly easy to install a 5 or 6 speed with your shovel motor.

stroker800

If is designed to take any big twin,,,,no problem. They do make frames for that reason..but a stock 4 speed set up(shovel,pan,knuck) frame will not work. The evo is too tall, thus the V will be wider at top of motor..There is an easyriders fix on this,I believe its in there tech tips 2 book..I have modified a 4 speed frame too accept a panvolution ,,,62 bottom & 90 evo top,,this is a tight fit as an evo due to deck height..Today people get ugly when modifying a good stock frame,,,but after market stuff,,,go for it.
Dave

svlhdleo

I thank you for all the info that you all have given me.The Paughco frame when bought it said it would take a evo engine in it. If the Evo engine is a little taller then I have the clearance.Will I have any trouble with the 4 speed trans mating up to the Evo?
Leo

gryphon

As long as your 4 speed is intended for an alternator motor, no problem. I have not mated a 4 speed to an EVO but have mated 5 speeds to Shovels and never had a problem. The 4 speed inner primary will bolt right up to the EVO motor.

svlhdleo

Thanks Gryphon for the info. I have been worrying about if the 4 speed trans and primary would work with the Evo engine. I have been dreaming of buying a factory Evo engine, and have a spare engine for when I am rebuilding the Shovelhead engine.The Wife has been offering to buy me a Evo engine so she won't have me all grumpy from not being able to ride.She said the engine is cheaper than a divorce.
Leo

alstar2

i just bought a paughco rigid for a 79 shovel.it said it fits pans & evo's
too,but it comes with 2 top motor mounts that have to be welded on.if
you can use the other top mount e mail me & i'll send it to you.

76shuvlinoff

QuoteThe Wife has been offering to buy me a Evo engine so she won't have me all grumpy from not being able to ride.She said the engine is cheaper than a divorce.
Leo

uh ... Leo...  can I get your wife to talk to mine?????   

Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

pan64

If you have the Paughco frame number (ex :S129 like mine was), the online catalog will tell you what fits in it.

113evo1

Food for thought.... my buddy installed an S&S 100in Evo in his stock 1974 Harley frame along with a Sputhe 5 into 4 trans....all the S&S 4in bore evo motors ( 100,107&113 ) are shorter than the 80in Evo motor and will fit in the 4 speed frames.
I have a S&S 113 Evo in my FXR and it now has more rockerbox clearence than the 80 in Evo that it came with.

Old Crow

More food for thought. 
My wife rides an '85 FXEF Superglide.  That's an Evo motor in a shovel 4 speed frame with chain final drive.  About the only thing that's different from the shovel version(other than the motor)is the way the seat mounts.
Also my brother-in-law has an '85 Softail which is also a 4 speed, chain final drive Evo bike, but the softail came with a kicker, while the Superglide is electric start only.
This ain't Dodge City, and you ain't Bill Hickock.

baldoldfxr

oldcrow the early evo's in shovel type frames, were factory built & are different to take the taller evo motor.

Old Crow

Quote from: baldoldfxr on November 16, 2008, 04:41:52 AM
oldcrow the early evo's in shovel type frames, were factory built & are different to take the taller evo motor.

Yes, but all the stuff hanging off the frame except the motor(and the seat)was basically interchangeable with shovel stuff.
The point I was trying to get across(I thought, anyway)was that the evo motor came with a 4 speed from the factory in both the FX frame and the softail frame, so there's no problem getting it to work that way.
This ain't Dodge City, and you ain't Bill Hickock.

shovelkid73

A Friend put a 1992 Evo in a 1972 frame with no work but a big shoe horn I was there. there is maybe .100" to .200" clearence but it fits

kiwidave

Just to help this along, here are ALL the four-speed Evos produced by the factory.

1984 FXST Softail (around 5000 made)

1985 FXST Softail (likewise), FXEF Fat Bob Super Glide (2324), FXSB Low Rider and FXWG Wide Glide  (around 3-4000 of each)

1986 FXWG Wide Glide (very rare, only around 900 produced)

The non-Softails had the FX shovel frame backbone kinked a bit just forward of  the seatpost to fit the slightly taller Evo motor.