May 01, 2024, 01:44:14 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Questions on bike scoring

Started by panheaddreamer58, May 20, 2009, 11:56:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

panheaddreamer58

Just curious on bike scoring. Definitely new to the 'old' bike world and like to know about bike scoring. Where, when, how and who does it?  Do you have to be with a certain organization? Can you get scored more than once or is it one time only? Does it cost? Is there somethings that are 'over looked' on the bike that won't penalize you?   Any info would be appreciated, thanks Jim :soda: 

Pzokes

You have to  join AMCA.  They can tell you how your unrestored original bike would be judged.  I wouldn't cosmetically touch the bike before you talk to them.  If you score one of their 6" mantle trophies, be sure to post a picture for us.
There's miles to go before I sleep.

chris haynes

The AMCA has different criteria for restored VS un-restored motorcycles. Of course we all want to see a nice un-restored machine stay that way. Especially if it still has original paint, no matter how thin or scratched up it is.
A restored machine must be exactly as it came off the assy. line. Every part must be as it left the line. I just paid $130.00 for the correct headlamp sealed beam for a 1950 Panhead I am working on. It can get expensive.
Un-restored bikes are expected to have gone through a few changes in their lives. Maintenance items, things like light bulbs, spark plugs, wiring, tires, chains, and things that usually get replaced during a normal life are allowed to be non original. Accessories added to it must be period correct for the bike. If the bike has had its tanks and fenders repainted at sometime at sometime in its life it will receive a six point deduction. If it makes 90 points it can win a Junior First award. It must have 95 points for a Senior First so a repainted un-restored bike can never win a Senior First. Unless you are lucky enough to find some factory painted tanks and fenders.
NRA Member
Costco Member
Iron Butt Association Member I can't Re Member