April 26, 2024, 08:38:11 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Name that valvetrain noise!?

Started by misfitJason, October 10, 2019, 12:00:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

misfitJason

October 10, 2019, 12:00:28 PM Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 06:40:12 PM by misfitJason
This noise has been there ever since I have built the motor, now going on twenty thousand miles. It has been there through changing heads and throttle bodies. It is not the rockers hitting the boxes, it is not the pushrods hitting anything, and it is there even when the lifters are changed. It doesn't make the noise when she's cold. I even have rockouts in there. I think it's the rocker arms having a slight up and down clicking. What do you guys think
https://youtu.be/my5Nv1dxM2U
2006 Dyna, Kraftech Evo Softail

Armin

Try to pinpoint the noise source with a stethoscope.

Armin.
Nothing can ruin a Man's day faster than an Almost-Takeoff!

pendo31

Is it louder when fully warmed up, does it have gear drive high lift cams, if so then possibly a little too much gear lash.
East Providence, RI

misfitJason

It doesn't make the noise when it's cold. More so when it's warm. It does not have gear drive cams. 37h cams with stock valve springs. Decked heads to 80cc, 95inch compression set at 9.8-1

MikeL

What you getting for oil pressure at idle hot? What lifters you using? What push rods you using?

MIKE

Deye76

East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

misfitJason

Quote from: Deye76 on October 10, 2019, 04:35:29 PM
What pistons?

Screamin Eagle flat tops

Quote from: MIKEL on October 10, 2019, 04:34:47 PM
What you getting for oil pressure at idle hot? What lifters you using? What push rods you using?

MIKE

No idea.... but the light isn't on haha. Lifters...I've had s&s and am now running hylifts. Pushrods are s&s. I've had four different sets in there chasing the noise to no avail

Rockout Rocker Products

www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

MikeL

https://www.sscycle.com/tech-info/instructions-data/pushrod-adjustment.
Sounds like low oil pressure or wrong adjustment of the push rods. It wouldn't hurt to check oil pressure with a mechanical gauge.

MIKE

misfitJason

pushrod adjustment, tighter or looser, doesn't have an effect on the sound.  Noise is present regardless of pushrod type or diameter

Thermodyne

Its not a pushrod, and more than one loosing adjustment would be rare. 

Use a length of heater hose or a wooden dowel (broom handle) to locate the noise.  Then start in that area.

Listening to a video is pretty tough for a noise that's not obvious.  Kind of sounds like roller rockers with some miles on them.   But if that noise locates to the rocker boxes, then you'll want to have a close look at the supports and what the shaft fit is to the support and to the rocker.  And the fit of the rocker to the support.  Not making noise cold is often loose rocker shafts. 

Big Cahuna

I agree with RRP, drain oil whatever oil you have in there and try either 20/50 wt dino oil, or even straight 60 weight. Most bikes are noisy with synthetic oil, that all it sounds like to me is your issue.,,,