April 25, 2024, 08:34:10 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Melted! Heard of it, never seen it until today.

Started by Pirsch Fire Wagon, October 10, 2019, 07:17:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pirsch Fire Wagon

Heard of it, never seen it until today. Had a 17 with a high-idle issue occasionally. Hooked it up, checked all the PID Perimeters, all within specs. No DTC's. Test Ride, eventually the idle was at about 2,000 for entire ride when at Stops.

Used Propane checking for Intake Leaks Shuts Off. Tear it down. PLASTIC Throttle Body was MELTED to the Rear Head from excessive Heat.

Called Tech Support. Yup had a lot of them Make sure to Activate the ETMS and tell customer at Pick-Up. Long period of stop-Go Traffic above 90*F seems to be the culprit. I told him the culprit was Plastic. Up-Graded to Aluminum for Customer $125 + $50 (ESP). No more worries for Him.
Tom

Reddog74usa

RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

Nastytls

Plastics have been used in cars for a long time without issue. I can't imagine that it gets any hotter on a Harley than it does under the hood of a car in bumper to bumper at over 90*. Knowing how HD operates, I bet they saved a few Pennies and used a cheap plastic that can't handle the heat...:doh:

fbn ent

'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

guppymech

Wasn't there a thread about the balancer shafts ball bearing plastic cage melting on cop bikes with resultant blown up engines? Plastic
'84 FXE, '02 883R

rbabos

October 11, 2019, 07:32:29 AM #5 Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 08:16:10 AM by rbabos
Quote from: guppymech on October 11, 2019, 06:46:03 AM
Wasn't there a thread about the balancer shafts ball bearing plastic cage melting on cop bikes with resultant blown up engines? Plastic
I think it was due to a lack of an oil feed hole to lube the bearing. That was soon addressed in production with addition of an oil feed hole. The ones that blew up were likely replaced with updated cases.
Ron

PoorUB

Quote from: Nastytls on October 11, 2019, 04:51:40 AM
Plastics have been used in cars for a long time without issue. I can't imagine that it gets any hotter on a Harley than it does under the hood of a car in bumper to bumper at over 90*. Knowing how HD operates, I bet they saved a few Pennies and used a cheap plastic that can't handle the heat...:doh:

The car engine is water cooled, manifold never sees over 225F or so. An air cooled Harley head can see almost twice that.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Pirsch Fire Wagon

October 11, 2019, 07:01:15 PM #7 Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 07:17:01 PM by PIRSCH FIRE WAGON
What are the Chances.

ANOTHER one today! Same issue, just not as bad. Does it when Cold Only. When it starts it goes right to 4,000 RPM's and stays there until warm! This was not melted. The Seals very bad due to Heat Cycles. Inder the Flanges were caked with Brown "goo" Perhaps the Gaskets breaking down?  Put new Seals in it and it wasn't "as bad" (1,700 - 2,000 RPMs until Warm.

No warranty on this one. Smart Customer; going with the Aluminum Manifold ($189.00), I miss-quotes the price above. that is the Dealership Cost ($125.00). My Bad. And, you have to purchase the Gaskets and transfer the MAP and Injectors AND use the original Flanges. Just FYI - It is the Intake ONLY if you order one. NOTHING ELSE included.

To add insult ti injury, the Customer is driving 6 hours round-trip to pick the parts up on the other side of the State Saturday. I told him I would stay and finish it for him since he was going to get the Parts. Ps: H-D has a Seven-Day-Lead-Time for this part. We're closed Sun and Mon and he leaves for Daytona Biketoberfest on Wednesday.

JUST a THOUGHT:

We've had one of the HOTTEST Summers. Until last week when the Temp dropped into the 80's, we have been in the 100's and high 90's since April except for a few rare days when it was in the Low 90's. Today it was 75*.

Wondering if these are due to the drastic temp change and all the Heat this summer. They're both 2017 (1 Roadglide and 1 Streetglide) both with over 60k on the Spedo's.

Or, is this is something everyone has to look forward to after 60k Miles? Shrinkage or distortion after expansion?

I'm filling out the Paperwork to send to the Head Shed and see what they say.

NEW SUBJECT:

2018 lost oil pressure (107). Infotainment Display said "Check Oil". Customer Checked the Oil, it was fine.

Trailered  it in and dropped it off Wednesday.

Put a Gauge on it and it read 70 psig ! What? Compression Test 30 / 70. Leak down Test - What didn't Leak? The Engine is Trashed.
But, under Warranty.

Was told to tear it down and find out any obvious cause and call back for Authorization (as usual 3 hrs is all  you get) .

Sent it to another Tech for tear-down. He called me over and said "WTF is this?"

There was Sealant in the Head at the Oil Return Ports (not much, but definitely sealant) . Removed the Oil Cooler - BLOCKED with Sealant (thats why the Oil Pressure was so high). Cut the Filter open - Sealant! Called to tell them what we found. NO hesitation at all  "We want that Engine"  "We'll overnight one".  Told him to take the Oil Pan off just for S&G - LOADED!

Hmmmm Think something is up? This is how it usually starts.
Tom

guppymech

^^^How about some pics of the sealant destruction?
'84 FXE, '02 883R

Norton Commando

Remember, you can sleep in your car, but you can't drive your house.

Bigs

Do you have a part number for the aluminum manifold?
   Bigs

Prostock

MakoHD

To The Max

PoorUB

I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Deye76

Quote from: PoorUB on October 11, 2019, 04:05:50 PM
Quote from: Nastytls on October 11, 2019, 04:51:40 AM

The car engine is water cooled, manifold never sees over 225F or so. An air cooled Harley head can see almost twice that.

:up:. And I wonder if placement has a effect. Car manifold on top, ours down in between. Got to love those car people running a motorcycle company.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP