May 04, 2024, 09:52:32 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Lobe Center Question/LSA

Started by waltcentral, November 12, 2008, 07:58:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

waltcentral

A question for the experts here.  If a cam is advanced or retarded will it affect the lobe center and LSA numbers.  I am assuming the these do not change but want to make sure.  I am interested in the DME 510 cam and specs for the '07/'08 are not listed.  Dave Mackie indicated the later model cams were advanced  4 degrees from previous.

Don D

That means the events all happen 4° earlier. The LSA does not change as that is the relationship between the intake and exhaust fixed by the cam profile.

RevFastEddy

Since chain driven cams have some slack as not to bind up and the chain stretches, the tensioneer does a pretty good job of making up for the slack but it is not 100% so advancing the cam would bring it back closer to what a gear driven version would be. Remember the old advertising about chain driven cams in 2000 or 2004 era.. Chain cams can have up to 4d retard because of chain tension.

Mackie makes some fine cams and I have used them. If he does a change it is because it is for the better. JMHO
SAEPE EXPERTUS, SEMPER FIDELIS, FRATRES AETERNI
Vietnam 67-68, Red Beach

waltcentral

Thanks for the info.  The newer version DME510 is retarded not advanced. Just correcting myself.  A question for RevFast. What Mackie cams have you used?  Were they noisey?