April 27, 2024, 03:56:25 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

mikuni slide carby for sporty

Started by rat097, November 12, 2008, 07:58:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rat097

Hey guys me again , just wondering if anyone has put a mikuni slide carby on there 1200 sporty and what difference it made to your bike , would acceleration be increased ? Is it worth spending $500 and getting one as apposed to the vacum cv carby they came out standard with and how hard is it to tune one in to your bike ? Cheers Rick.

02xl1200c

I put one on my bike and then took it off.  I didn't really realize any gains.  I don't think its worth the money.  A lot of people run them though.  What have you done, if anything, to your bike.  Tell us a little about your bike.
Ken in Western MD

2002 XL1200C 94.5 HP

rat097

Its a 1200 97 mod , rejetted via dyno cycle shack slip ons, k&n with the standard air filter cover , nology leads , 88 mod needle and next year I plan on fitting thunderstorm heads with pistons and i will be changing the gearing on it to a 55 t rearfor freeway running. Basically i would like it more up around the 90 hp. Any suggestions , I was told i'd get faster acceleration from a mikuni slide . Cheers Rick.

02xl1200c

You'll get 90 after you put the TS heads and pistons on.  I run them and love them.  What cams do you plan on running?  Sounds like a nice bike.
Ken in Western MD

2002 XL1200C 94.5 HP

rat097

If I can find out how to get my  hog pictures on here you could see it. Its a 97 1200 sportster sport , twin disk with the adjustable front dampeners But ive changed the rear to lowered progressive. Would I have to change my rev limiter in my bike after i install the thunder heads and pistons and can you notice the difference after you put them on. Cheers mate.

02xl1200c

I would definitely go with an upgraded ignition module.  I went with the SE and it works fine, especially for the $$.  I noticed a HUGE difference after my build.  You really need to do some research on cams so you can do this at the same time.  I run the SE .551.  If you go with these, I would recommend you replace the springs in the TS heads first.

To post pictures, you need to have them hosted.  I use Photobucket.  Its free.
Ken in Western MD

2002 XL1200C 94.5 HP

mayor

Quote from: rat097 on November 13, 2008, 06:57:37 PM
Its a 1200 97 mod , rejetted via dyno cycle shack slip ons, k&n with the standard air filter cover , nology leads , 88 mod needle and next year I plan on fitting thunderstorm heads with pistons and i will be changing the gearing on it to a 55 t rearfor freeway running. Basically i would like it more up around the 90 hp. Any suggestions , I was told i'd get faster acceleration from a mikuni slide . Cheers Rick.

if you are going to be running non-modified thunderstorm heads, you will not see a dramatic improvement in HP numbers with the Mik42 opposed to the CV40.  The heads will be the limiting factor (the heads flow less than the CV40 can give).  The main difference is in the throttle response.  The Mik is a mechanical carb, where the CV has some lag due to it being tied to vacuum.

here's a great link with more information:
http://www.nrhsperformance.com/tech_mikunivscv.shtml

Quote from: rat097 on November 14, 2008, 06:36:13 AM
Would I have to change my rev limiter in my bike after i install the thunder heads and pistons and can you notice the difference after you put them on. Cheers mate.

If your bike is a stock 1200 (with stock '97 1200 heads) you should notice a difference with the T-storms depending on your cam choice.  The advantage of installing a new ignition is changing the rev limit (again only a benfit depending on your cam choice). 

here's another couple of good links regarding cams available for sporties:
http://www.nrhsperformance.com/tech_ecamsvs536cams.shtml
http://www.nrhsperformance.com/tech_575camsvs536cams.shtml

If you decide to go with cams over .510" lift with the T-storm heads, you will need to change the springs to prevent coil bind. I'm running Andrew's N8's with my T-storms and topped out at 83hp (although the afr was not good, and I'm running less than ideal pipes).   

warning, this poster suffers from bizarre delusions

Bigs

On my '05 1200C I went to the Harley Stage II which was a SE CV44 carb, SE intake, SE Performance Ignition which retards ignition 5deg at upper end, SE Performance cams, and D&D Fat Cat 2 into 1 with Quiet Baffel. I put a Jagg oil cooler on and it does not heat up even in Florida heat. Throttle responce is good and doesn't seem to have any lag. 84 hp and 75 tq.
   Bigs

mayor

I believe this is your's Bigs:

:teeth:  I saved it in my personal collection of dyno files.   :smiled:

mayor

Bigs, do you know off hand what jets and needle you're running in your CV44 carb?  and do you have the afr portion of that dyno run? 

Bigs

Wannabmayor:
I'm running the stock needle, 230 hi and 48 low jets. I don't have the AFR but the guy that did the dyno said it was just about spot on. I don't know if I could get more out of it if I bumped both jets up one. The plugs are burning very clean, almost white. I stopped fooling with it after I got my Road Glide. The Sportster will whip the pants off the Glide but is not as comfortable on a long ride and it gets just over 50mpg. The bike is for sale so I'm not going to do anything more to it.
   Bigs

mayor

thanks Bigs.  I'm considering the switch on my sporty, and was just curious where to start.