April 28, 2024, 06:42:09 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

STUPID EFFIN S&S OIL PUMP

Started by 53Pan66shovel, May 21, 2009, 03:31:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

53Pan66shovel

ok guys i aint talked to ya for a while here is my deal the bike is still smoking brand new rings pistons valves valve guide seals the hole nine yards idk if the case has been drilled i reduced the feed line to the heads and seperated them at the rocker box with the y line idk what to do is there anyone who has had this problem before i dont have the bike with me cause im currently attendin mmi and left it behind also it fouls the back plug like crazy its black and bridged idk what to do i would like to know if anyone has any thing to tell me thanks!!!!!

MBSKEAM

http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a96/mbskeam/
You Can Have It All,MyEmpireOfDirt

stroker800

I haven't heard of reducing oil to a shovel top end...I've over oiled my pan top end,,never huffed oil just came outta pushrod tubes...Are the rings installed correctly,,have seen rings upside down,,scraped up the oil and outta the pipes..Who drilled the cases for the S&S pump,,,have also saw mistakes made with plugging passages...I run a pan and an evo both with S&S pumps,,all is well...Are the drains in the cyls blocked ,,,drain holes have tobe relocated if stroked...Alot of things to consider...
Dave

53Pan66shovel

i know the rings are on right the o faces up idk i guess ill have to tear it down again and see whats going on when i redcued the feed line it didnt smoke as bad but when i sit in traffic it like loads up and smokes like crazy untill i clear it out

ricochet

There are a few areas that can get screwed up with mounting the S & S pump on stock or modified cases and it's pretty confusing figuring it out as mentioned.  If you're getting oil up the line to the heads that's half the battle.  Got to make sure it's sumping too all the way back to the tank.  Can you determine if it's one cylinder versus the other, dual pipes?  I'd be inclined to think along the line of problem with drain holes like the gasket or location of passages.  Does the shovel just use drains into the cylinder deck on the case or is it through the cylinder spigots?  Wrong or incorrectly installed gasket(s)?  Was a stroker plate used? Did you go into the timing chest?

ricochet

53Pan66shovel

the oil drains down the cylinders

Pzokes

I didn't understand some of the words that you misspelled.  Would you use the spell check at the bottom of the page, to make it easier for me to read?  Thanks.

Are you sure that it is not fouling from a rich jetting on the carb?  Do you have an S&S Carb?  Is your enrichner device not seating?

Usually people only restrict the feed lines on overhead oiler Panheads.  Shoveheads don't need that done to them.

There's miles to go before I sleep.

04customking

idk = I Dpn't Know I think. Took me awhile to read it too.
Jim  '54 FL Pan. '04 RK Custom

53Pan66shovel

lol sorry i forgot yall are older than me lol i have the super b 70 main 295 intermidiet jet the front plug runs perfect its just the back that fouls out which is the one smoking

chris haynes

Oil gets into your cylinders through worn rings, leaking gaskets or worn valve guides.
NRA Member
Costco Member
Iron Butt Association Member I can't Re Member

53Pan66shovel

all that stuff is brand new could it be wore out already :wtf:

Harpo

53P66S - Sounds like you're getting a LOT of oil into the rear cyl.  If you're sure that it's not the valve guides, guide seals, or rings,  I would suspect that oil is getting into the combustion chamber from the oil transfer (return) hole between the head and the cylinder.  The likely culprit is the head gasket not sealing in that area.  I like to use the blue teflon head gaskets with which I've never had a problem.  If using a copper head gasket I like to use just a little gasket shellack (not silicone) type sealer around the hole top and bottom to help this area seal.

When you take the head off examine the gasket - the impressions left in it from torquing tell you what's happening.  You can probably tell if oil has been getting by in that area.  Sometimes an improper torque sequence will cock the head just a little and this area won't seal.  If the head needs 'decking' (machining the sealing surface flat) you will see uneven immpressions in the gasket - usually the areas around the bolt holes will have deeper impressions than the areas between them.  You will see a small amount of this on any installation but if it's significant enough it can cause the leaks to start.

While you have the heads off I would also re-check the valve guide seals.  They're real easy to damage when installing.  Anyways hope you figure it out.  Good luck.

Mule

Just because it has new parts in it doesn't mean it will work perfectly!  The rings on the effected cylinder may have broken, The head gasket at the oil return thru the heads may be sucking oil into the cylinder (common), If you put seals on the guides one may have come loose and now is acting as a pump forcing oil thru the guide. The guides may be a bad fit in the head and sucking oil thru between the guide and the casting. Were the gaskets installed under the guides?ETC,ETC. Could be a lot of things, needs to be taken apart and inspected, Oil will leave tell,tell signs of where it is comming from....Good luck with it...Mule...

53Pan66shovel

the head gasket has alot of oil on it when i pulled it off last time around the oil drain hole

MBSKEAM

you may have to have the heads shaved and the jugs cleaned up too.

mbskeam
http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a96/mbskeam/
You Can Have It All,MyEmpireOfDirt