April 26, 2024, 05:52:01 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Why put a larger intake valve in SE110 heads?

Started by guesscrazy, October 30, 2019, 05:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guesscrazy

Is it so a multi angle valve seat can be cut? If so why?
2014 Ultra Limited. 124 S&S kit , V&H Powerduals .Reinharts and alot or other do

No Cents

08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

rbabos

Quote from: guesscrazy on October 30, 2019, 05:36:58 PM
Is it so a multi angle valve seat can be cut? If so why?
As mentioned, more flow. Multi angle would be standard for all of them, including bigger intake valves.
Ron

Don D

To create more low lift flow and a more appropriate throat ratio

TorQuePimp

More appropriate

Why change valves

Valve shape also critical

Getting away from the backcut oe vales is a very good thing

prodrag1320

Quote from: HD Street Performance on October 31, 2019, 03:45:05 PM
To create more low lift flow and a more appropriate throat ratio

bingo! the throat is too big for the OEM valve (2.080),2.100 works out pretty good.plus your flowing more.a win win

Hillside Motorcycle

We use a larger valve with a tulip shape.
Throat diameter is in a better relation to valve size then. 
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Timinator

I use the MVA intake valve, then cut the spring seat deeper to get the installed spring height back where it needs to be. You can get a five angle seat and great throat shape. You have to be careful to make sure you have enough radial clearance in the valve notch. Not a problem with the Screamin' Eagle "Drop on" big bore 110" and 117" kits, they have bigger diameter notches, as do Wiseco and most other after market pistons. Most stock pistons can be notched enough larger to work. It is something to check before you cut though....  TIMINATOR
MODESTY IS A CRUTCH FOR THE INCOMPETENT!!!

jsachs1

Install the 2.120" factory intake valves at 2.005" protrusion, and lay the eyebrow on the stock piston back a small amount. You'll be good to go. :wink:
John

Hillside Motorcycle

The depth of the relief is ok, but you need to move the relief outboard.
Piston vise in a vertical mill, makes short/precise work of that.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Don D

jsachs1

I built this back in the early 70's. Use it on my lathe with the backing plate, mill  bolted on a an adjustable angle fixture, and rotary table with an adaptor plate. :smiled:
John

Hillside Motorcycle

mike jesse

Quote from: TorQuePimp on December 04, 2019, 07:10:16 PM
Quickest to setup I've seen or used

Nice! :smiled:

Just goes to show there is more than one way to get the job done.