April 26, 2024, 03:38:12 PM

News:

Alignment after changing motor mounts on dyna

Started by anthonyflhx, October 31, 2019, 08:33:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

anthonyflhx

I just changed front and rear motor mounts on 05 dyna. No instructions came with parts and can't find anything in clymers manual remotely relating to motor mounts. Not even torque specs.

Place i ordered from online gave me torque d'Italia over phone and said just replace and torque em.
But i still have some weird vibration, and others have said you have to re align. Can't find anything in manual that says how to. Some say loosen mount and start bike let idle few minutes then torque back down. Others say just run it and it will settle in after few hundred miles. Any truth to that or is it more involved?
Called dealership and they won't align unless you bought the parts from them. Appreciate any help.

Nastytls

Service manual says to loosen mounts and start/stop engine then re-torque.

I would double check alignment, the difference between a properly aligned Dyna and one that isn't is night and day.

anthonyflhx

October 31, 2019, 05:31:04 PM #2 Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 06:01:27 PM by anthonyflhx
Just came across a pdf of original service and found the instructions. My error was i torqued bolts with bike sill up in air and not wheels on ground. Torque specs the after market co gave me where incorrect as well.

I'll try again tomorrow. With that being said, I'm hearing alot of people say oem is way to go and after market will only give you problems as far as mounts go. Any truth to that?

Thanks again for your help.

Nastytls

That's interesting that's you've heard that. My experience is just the opposite, everyone hates the factory mounts and looks for alternatives.  :nix:

I run a Predator front mount, CCE top stabilizer and a factory rear.

koko3052

"I just changed front and rear motor mounts on 05 dyna. No instructions came with parts and can't find anything in clymers manual remotely relating to motor mounts. Not even torque specs."

One of the best things that you can do for yourself is  throw that Clymers in the garbage where it belongs. :sick:

kd

Quote from: koko3052 on November 02, 2019, 08:08:34 AM
"I just changed front and rear motor mounts on 05 dyna. No instructions came with parts and can't find anything in clymers manual remotely relating to motor mounts. Not even torque specs."

One of the best things that you can do for yourself is  throw that Clymers in the garbage where it belongs. :sick:

:agree:  I've been wanting to say that but resisted.  :teeth:
KD

kp68

Quote from: anthonyflhx on October 31, 2019, 05:31:04 PM
Just came across a pdf of original service and found the instructions. My error was i torqued bolts with bike sill up in air and not wheels on ground. Torque specs the after market co gave me where incorrect as well.

I'll try again tomorrow. With that being said, I'm hearing alot of people say oem is way to go and after market will only give you problems as far as mounts go. Any truth to that?

Thanks again for your help.

I would use the torque specs for the 'after market' parts provided by their mfg. No?

anthonyflhx

There is an awful lot of space between the motor mount tabs and the engine mount tab. I read how many are adding spacers to shim and take out slack to not have as much stress on mount. Im getting feedback saying they're should not be that much space but the old one i took out has same width.

Nastytls

Loosen mounts, start engine, idle for a few seconds, re-torque.

Thats abnormal.  I've had my Dyna apart several times ( Rebuild crank & 107", 117", paint frame ) and never saw a gap like that.

anthonyflhx

I just called Harley and had them measure width of ear tab to tab and they said it's 2 3/8 inches wide. My 04 dyna engine tab is barely 1 3/4 inches wide. So the gap looks about right. I just watched a video on install and the mount in video looks much closer to engine tab width with no gap.
Im baffled. Not sure what to do now. Just run it with shims or return it and try oem or another after market co.

Rusticwater

To the OP, here is a photo of my front mount, Harley #47583-90B, that is currently on my 2010 FXDC. Note the lack of any gaps on the sides of the mount.

This mount replaced the factory installed mount which had lasted about 18K miles and had deteriorated and collapsed because of oil spills from dealer oil changes.

When I replaced the mount, I did it with the bike up on a J&S jack (no more dealer oil changes!), and as I recall (this was several years ago) all I did was support the engine with a block of wood and an additional car jack under the oil pan, and essentially unbolted the old mount, slipped in the new one, and torqued to the spec in the manual. I'm aware of the "loosen, start & shake it, tighten it" procedure but I did not have to do that.

FWIW, the HTT technical library for members here that FSG has gone to tremendous lengths to create and maintain is an invaluable resource. Please take some time to research that because it contains most of the answers you're asking about, especially about torque values...

[attach=0,msg1321555]
Support the Maine lobster industry

Hossamania

Quote from: anthonyflhx on November 03, 2019, 01:36:27 PM
I just called Harley and had them measure width of ear tab to tab and they said it's 2 3/8 inches wide. My 04 dyna engine tab is barely 1 3/4 inches wide. So the gap looks about right. I just watched a video on install and the mount in video looks much closer to engine tab width with no gap.
Im baffled. Not sure what to do now. Just run it with shims or return it and try oem or another after market co.

Was the engine tab changed out with an aftermarket piece at some point, a thinner tab used with with a thinner aftermarket mount, then a stock mount was used to replace it, but does not fit the aftermarket tab properly?
A clumsy question, I hope it makes sense.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

anthonyflhx

Im second owner so not sure about engine tab being changed. It measures about 1 3/4 inches wide. The old mount taken off is same width as new aftermarket i have on now, about 2 3/8 inches wide.

Odd how old mount worked great without shims til it died. Maybe there is difference between oem and aftermarket.

Quote from: Hossamania on November 04, 2019, 10:57:47 AM
Quote from: anthonyflhx on November 03, 2019, 01:36:27 PM

Was the engine tab changed out with an aftermarket piece at some point, a thinner tab used with with a thinner aftermarket mount, then a stock mount was used to replace it, but does not fit the aftermarket tab properly?
A clumsy question, I hope it makes sense.

Hossamania

Perhaps look at buying a new tab to match the width of your mount.
Or shim the old one and see if it helps.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Nastytls

Until you perform the work the way the factory service manual says to do it, you're just wasting time asking these questions. It's really not that difficult.  :emoGroan: :gob:

Rusticwater

To the OP, this isn't rocket science. The 'engine tab' you're referring to (Front Engine Mount Bracket, Harley #47226-99A) is approximately 1.75" wide by design.

I looked again at the first photo you posted and realized you're putting shims on the sides of the mount. No, no, no, no, no. Insert the mount over the bracket and torque the bolts to spec to clamp the mount to the bracket. But that's assuming you're using official Harley parts of course...

I've seen plenty of people use shims to take up space between the front of the mount and the frame, but never between the engine mount bracket and the mount itself.

Do yourself a favor and go look at my photo again, see what it's supposed to look like, go look up the torque values in the area I suggested. It's all there.
Support the Maine lobster industry