April 26, 2024, 04:23:48 PM

News:

Rear sprocket wear?

Started by klammer76, October 31, 2019, 09:54:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

klammer76

Buttoning up my 2002 FLH after the quad seal leak. Belt and rear sprocket have 52,000 miles on them. Belt looks fine, rear sprocket shows some wear but don't really know what is abnormal wear. Don't really want to spend money taht isn't needed but it is apart. The front sprocket is fine and has 14,000 miles on it as it was installed in 2017 when I put in the 6 speed. The belt and rear sprocket are the 2004-2006, 1 1/8" pieces (I run a 150 rear tire). I would think 52,000 would be mid life for these?

How does this rear sprocket look?

Thanks,
klammer

calif phil

There is still life left in it. I would run it.  It also depends on your riding, are you keeping the bike forever?  Do you do lots of cross country trips, if yes then the extra $400 would be money well spent since you are in there already. 

kd

It can also be an opportunity to reconsider your final ratio.
KD

klammer76

Quote from: calif phil on October 31, 2019, 10:47:30 AM
There is still life left in it. I would run it.  It also depends on your riding, are you keeping the bike forever?  Do you do lots of cross country trips, if yes then the extra $400 would be money well spent since you are in there already.
Thanks Phil. No cross country trip planned buy Arkansas next fall possibly. I do ride it so I get what you are saying. Belt looks fine but if I change one I will do both. I will always keep this bike but I still want that RG also  :teeth:.

klammer76

Quote from: kd on October 31, 2019, 11:24:27 AM
It can also be an opportunity to reconsider your final ratio.
Agreed kd but I am right where I want to be at this point. 3.37 with a OD 6 speed and the power to use both. Truly the best of both worlds IMO.

kd

:agree:  The early ratios were / are the best.
KD