April 26, 2024, 07:16:20 AM

News:

Stock Sturgis tranny pulley tooth count?

Started by Hybredhog, November 01, 2019, 09:48:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hybredhog

For whatever reason I was under the memory that stock Sturgis pulleys were 32t. I'm into one now & its got 33t BDL one on it (aluminum), but in the box of Chit that came with the bike there are also two 33t steel "stock?" pulleys. One has had the broached inner splines cherry picked & replaced with a thinner 530 chain size sprocket spline, not a surprise, as Sturgis's were hard on those splines. The other looks OK, but really rusty, & I can't tell if it could've been an Andrews replacement. My OEM parts book doesn't list the tooth count, and gives 40212-80A as its #, and a 1984 FLH is a 33341-83. As far as I can remember the only difference was that in -83 they added a stop lock screw instead of the old tabbed lock washer.
    Sturgis's were slightly taller geared than chain models, so the way this one was built cam & high compression piston wise, is out of sink gearing wise. 
'01 FXDXT, '99 FXDL/XRD, '76 FLH

fbn ent

'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

Hybredhog

Yeah, I know, a friend had one, and it barely lasted a season.
'01 FXDXT, '99 FXDL/XRD, '76 FLH

Buglet

40212-80 is 33 teeth. I have one here being taking care of the bike since new.

Lew

The pulley on my '83 FLHS is (was) 33 teeth.  All the pulleys I've encountered don't last, whether factory or otherwise.  They all get their splines wiped out in time, no matter what method is used to lock them in.  The earlier course spline count and the hub offset is the major problem with them.  There's just not enough surface area to support them without the harder main shaft eating them up in short order (can wipe out the splines on the main shaft too....don't ask how I know).  The later design uses very fine splines to add surface area and better support to get them to last.......longer.
-It is now later than it has ever been before-