April 26, 2024, 05:49:29 PM

News:

D&D fatcat

Started by IronButt70, November 09, 2019, 08:47:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IronButt70

I've had a D&D fatcat 2/1 on my 2017 softail for almost 2 years. I love the way the bike runs and performs but the loudness is starting to wear on me. Is there any way to quiet it down. I know if it's possible I'll lose some performance but that's OK. Any other quieter baffle that will fit in there? TIA
No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

cherryseeg2

FuelMoto offers their e-series slip on to use on your fat cat head pipe.
2005 Cherry SEEG2-J&B Performance 120 163hp/144tq

tomcat64

I think D&D makes a "quiet baffle"

IronButt70

November 09, 2019, 09:52:02 AM #3 Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 10:09:13 AM by IronButt70
Quote from: tomcat64 on November 09, 2019, 09:46:13 AM
I think D&D makes a "quiet baffle"
I called and ask. No quiet baffle available

Quote from: cherryseeg2 on November 09, 2019, 09:13:20 AM
FuelMoto offers their e-series slip on to use on your fat cat head pipe.
Thanks. I'll give them a call.

yobtaf103

Search DOC HARLEY: HERITAGE SOFTAIL COMPARISON on youtube

They fitted a supertrapp muffler on a fatcat, gave details in the comments about it

IronButt70

$588 for the muffler is more than I'm willing to spend. The 5" DS baffle plates won't fit either so that's out too.  :angry:

kd

Did you check prices with California Phil?   :wink:
KD

IronButt70

Quote from: kd on November 10, 2019, 07:48:58 AM
Did you check prices with California Phil?   :wink:
Not yet but I will do that. The FM E-series is $350 on their site and I can live with that but it looks like it's for FLH models. If I go that route I'll probably have to fabricate some type of mount bracket.

harpwrench

You might be able to adapt supertrapp discs to your muffler, it's been done in the past and posted about on HTT (but not on your specific model)

There's a rough but cheap supertrapp muffler on eBay you could pick up for parts. There's also a sweet one for a buell but I don't know if the inlet size is same. It came up searching supertrapp harley, and selecting used , he spelled buell as buel

klammer76

Unfortunately, Fuel Moto has discontinued the E-Series. I talked to them last week after not seeing it anymore on their site and was told it's discontinued.

FXDBI

Quote from: klammer76 on November 11, 2019, 04:32:38 PM
Unfortunately, Fuel Moto has discontinued the E-Series. I talked to them last week after not seeing it anymore on their site and was told it's discontinued.

:scratch:    https://www.fuelmotousa.com/i-22164513-fuel-moto-e-series-2-5-universal-megaphone-muffler.html

Bob

klammer76

Quote from: FXDBI on November 11, 2019, 07:16:43 PM

:scratch:    https://www.fuelmotousa.com/i-22164513-fuel-moto-e-series-2-5-universal-megaphone-muffler.html

Bob
Well that's funny. I looked on their site last week and couldn't find that (was looking for the muffler shield). Called and talked to sales and was told they stopped making the e-series due to it not selling. Sales guy said it's a great exhaust but just didn't sell (I agree and have had one for years both White Bro's original and a FM also). Asked about the collector and shield and he said nothing left except some some stuff for dyna. WTH?

Thanks for the link.

IronButt70

I ordered one. We'll see.  :nix:

klammer76

Quote from: IronButt70 on November 12, 2019, 07:28:54 AM
Glad you got one. It's got a good sound once broken in. quiet but deep. Will perform well also. I have both a Jack Pot collector and an e-series collector. Ran the Jack Pot last year, works very well but loud. Probably go back to the e-series next summer.

IronButt70

Quote from: klammer76 on November 12, 2019, 10:09:25 AM
Glad you got one. It's got a good sound once broken in. quiet but deep. Will perform well also. I have both a Jack Pot collector and an e-series collector. Ran the Jack Pot last year, works very well but loud. Probably go back to the e-series next summer.
Got an e-mail that said processing order.  :bike: As bad as I scraped the fatcat on the twisties maybe I should have ordered 2.  :hyst:  How many disks do you use to get the sound you like?

klammer76

Quote from: IronButt70 on November 12, 2019, 11:29:27 AM
Got an e-mail that said processing order.  :bike: As bad as I scraped the fatcat on the twisties maybe I should have ordered 2.  :hyst:  How many disks do you use to get the sound you like?
My 2002 is now a 103 with some work done to it. On my original WB e-series I used 12 discs when 95 and 17 when 103 as I recall. With the FM I used what they sent which was 14. I repacked the original collector twice as the wrap had burned out a bit. That one was a bit louder over time than the FM (but the FM was new). When I converted from carb to efi last winter and had a couple of valve seal issues addressed I used a Power Vision tuner. My tuner tuned with both the Jack Pot and the e-series collectors (the head pipe is the same). I was surprised the Jack Pot had better curve than the e-series did but not by much. We used a few combos of discs (10,12,14,16). It liked 14 & 16 the best.

When the bike was a 103 in 2014 it was still caricatured and using a jetted but otherwise unmolested CV40 (to retain cruise control). I think slightly small carb helped the low end tq with that set up. The new set up uses a 51mm HPI TB with 4.3 injectors (motor and all else are the same). I picked up HP & TQ with the Jack Pot and remained basically the same with the 14 & 16 disc e-series just didn't come on as quickly.

I think you will like the e-series sound. It's a really good exhaust IMO, some don't like the look and I think that is why it didn't catch on again. I can send you or post the dyno sheets if you like or you can search them out here. Also, you can use early WB discs on the FM collector. Just need to frill out the bolt holes slightly as the FM uses slightly larger (and harder to find) metric socket head bolts.

IronButt70

Quote from: klammer76 on November 12, 2019, 12:04:22 PM
My 2002 is now a 103 with some work done to it. On my original WB e-series I used 12 discs when 95 and 17 when 103 as I recall. With the FM I used what they sent which was 14. I repacked the original collector twice as the wrap had burned out a bit. That one was a bit louder over time than the FM (but the FM was new). When I converted from carb to efi last winter and had a couple of valve seal issues addressed I used a Power Vision tuner. My tuner tuned with both the Jack Pot and the e-series collectors (the head pipe is the same). I was surprised the Jack Pot had better curve than the e-series did but not by much. We used a few combos of discs (10,12,14,16). It liked 14 & 16 the best.

When the bike was a 103 in 2014 it was still caricatured and using a jetted but otherwise unmolested CV40 (to retain cruise control). I think slightly small carb helped the low end tq with that set up. The new set up uses a 51mm HPI TB with 4.3 injectors (motor and all else are the same). I picked up HP & TQ with the Jack Pot and remained basically the same with the 14 & 16 disc e-series just didn't come on as quickly.

I think you will like the e-series sound. It's a really good exhaust IMO, some don't like the look and I think that is why it didn't catch on again. I can send you or post the dyno sheets if you like or you can search them out here. Also, you can use early WB discs on the FM collector. Just need to frill out the bolt holes slightly as the FM uses slightly larger (and harder to find) metric socket head bolts.
Thanks for all the info. Assuming that I get 14 disks with the muffler I'll try that first. I'm sure there are more to be found on Amazon or E-bay if needed. What is the length of the muffler? Couldn't find any info on the FM website.

86fxwg

Curius as to what baffle's in ur fat cat now?
Just did a 110 with a wrapped Perferated baffle & that was his complaint too.
Ordered the louvered baffle & he's happy.
I wouldn't wish trying to remove the old one on anyone! I understand why she giggled when he told her what we were doing!

86fxwg 06flhx 10flhx

IronButt70

Quote from: 86fxwg on November 12, 2019, 02:01:48 PM
I wouldn't wish trying to remove the old one on anyone! I understand why she giggled when he told her what we were doing!

Mine is the louvered baffle. Still too loud. I removed it, cut away the metal chamber and wrapped it with ceramic muffler cloth hoping it would help quiet it down. No bueno. My son said it sounded quieter to him but I couldn't tell much difference.

86fxwg

Quote from: IronButt70 on November 12, 2019, 02:07:23 PM

Mine is the louvered baffle. Still too loud. I removed it, cut away the metal chamber and wrapped it with ceramic muffler cloth hoping it would help quiet it down. No bueno. My son said it sounded quieter to him but I couldn't tell much difference.
:up:
Ur the one that counts, unless its the misses thats complaining!

86fxwg 06flhx 10flhx

IronButt70

November 12, 2019, 02:44:32 PM #20 Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 02:50:30 PM by IronButt70
Quote from: 86fxwg on November 12, 2019, 02:10:53 PM
Quote from: IronButt70 on November 12, 2019, 02:07:23 PM

Ur the one that counts, unless its the misses thats complaining!

Unfortunately the Mrs. is no longer able to ride.  :emsad: The best way I found to remove the baffle was to take the muffler off, remove the retaining bolt and tap the end of the muffler on a piece of wood until it slides to the end then grab the flange with a pair of vice grips and pull it the rest of the way out.

98fxstc

Quote from: IronButt70 on November 12, 2019, 02:44:32 PM
Unfortunately the Mrs. is no longer able to ride.  :emsad: The best way I found to remove the baffle was to take the muffler off, remove the retaining bolt and tap the end of the muffler on a piece of wood until it slides to the end then grab the flange with a pair of vice grips and pull it the rest of the way out.

I bolted a bit of metal to the muffler using the muffler bracket fixing holes and was able to slam the bit of metal down onto a wooden stump and get the baffle out without damaging the muffler.

IronButt70

Got an e-mail conformation and a Fedex tracking number so I guess we're good to go.  :bike:

klammer76

Quote from: IronButt70 on November 12, 2019, 12:16:58 PM
Quote from: klammer76 on November 12, 2019, 12:04:22 PM

Thanks for all the info. Assuming that I get 14 disks with the muffler I'll try that first. I'm sure there are more to be found on Amazon or E-bay if needed. What is the length of the muffler? Couldn't find any info on the FM website.

I don't have the e-series collector with me where I'm at right now but the Jack Pot measures 25". I believe the e-series is the same. I'll check it later today.

Let us know what you think when you get it. Glad you got confirmation.

IronButt70

Quote from: klammer76 on November 13, 2019, 05:06:01 AM

I don't have the e-series collector with me where I'm at right now but the Jack Pot measures 25". I believe the e-series is the same. I'll check it later today.

25" would be great. Don't want it to stick out beyond the right side bag.

klammer76

Quote from: IronButt70 on November 13, 2019, 05:38:28 AM

The collector will slide on the head pipe quite a way if you want. No restriction. The original had a weld the limited how far you could slip it on.

IronButt70

Quote from: klammer76 on November 13, 2019, 11:46:05 AM

The collector will slide on the head pipe quite a way if you want. No restriction. The original had a weld the limited how far you could slip it on.

IronButt70

November 16, 2019, 07:06:12 PM #27 Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 07:23:46 PM by IronButt70
Muffler arrived today. I will have to make a new bracket because the attachment holes on this one don't line up with the fatcat mount. No biggie. I do have a question about the disks. It looks like some of them may be bent. Some edges are touching and some have larger gaps. Will that have any noticeable effect on the tuning? Pics below.
[attach=0,msg1323253] 
[attach=1,msg1323253]

rigidthumper

That's fairly common, and the effect is minuscule. You can take a small flat blade and tweak them even, but there will be little to no effect on sound/power.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

kd

:agree:   The fat space makes up for the narrow space and vice versa.  Bottom line is, if typically you are tuning for power you set them up where they perform the best for your use.  If for sound, the same applies.  The gap consistence plays little into the end result.
KD

IronButt70

November 17, 2019, 09:40:18 AM #30 Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 10:02:45 AM by IronButt70
Quote from: kd on November 17, 2019, 07:17:47 AM
:agree:   The fat space makes up for the narrow space and vice versa.  Bottom line is, if typically you are tuning for power you set them up where they perform the best for your use.  If for sound, the same applies.  The gap consistence plays little into the end result.
Does more disks equal more or less sound. I'm easily confused and the instructions didn't help.  :idunno:

kd

More discs means more flow and more sound.  It's a balance for tuning and tone.  Usually less sound equals more torque (left side) and more sound means more right side power.   It's easier to measure on a dyno when you are setting it up.  Go to the SuperTrapp site and download the instructions for tuning and you will get a good idea how and where to start. 

As an FYI for example, the closed course open end cap hole is 1 7/16" (your's is closed cap) and is according to SuperTrapp supposed to equal 10 to 12 discs on the 4" disc set-up.  That will likely vary with engine displacement, compression etc.   Some on here have stated they placed a small ring or lock washer at the fasteners between 2 discs and get the same result as adding 3 discs. I suppose that is dependent on the thickness of the washer and will likely up the volume too.  Look at how the discs match up and force change to the direction of the flow.  Others may be able to confirm, deny or add to this. 

I will soon be doing an adjustment on a SuperTrapp disc fixture I built for my Burns pipe and I'll be trying all of the aforementioned options.  Open and closed end cap, spaced discs etc to maintain power, gain some left side if possible and make it more street (read police) friendly.  (I still want to hear it  :smiled: )  I'll probably share my findings here.  It may be a while though.  I have a 9 hour drive to the tuner (and return) in the St Paul / Faribault Minnesota area and will have to stay over to work with the tuner. That means blocking off enough time to do it.  The tuner did the original tune and is going to block off his schedule for me when I can make it work.   :up:
KD

FXDBI

November 17, 2019, 10:46:10 AM #32 Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 10:50:28 AM by FXDBI
Quote from: IronButt70 on November 17, 2019, 09:40:18 AM
Does more disks equal more or less sound. I'm easily confused and the instructions didn't help.  :idunno:
More discs more flow maybe a little louder to me with the closed end cap its not a lot of change unless you choke it off to much.  I found the way it came was great and that's where it sits.  I should add this is with the e-series full 2-1 for a Dyna. Havent even tried a hole. Pipe has supported 150hp in current form. Don't need it louder is just right for me Bob

kd

Quote from: FXDBI on November 17, 2019, 10:46:10 AM
Quote from: IronButt70 on November 17, 2019, 09:40:18 AM
More discs more flow maybe a little louder to me with the closed end cap its not a lot of change unless you choke it off to much.  I found the way it came was great and that's where it sits.  I should add this is with the e-series full 2-1 for a Dyna. Havent even tried a hole. Pipe has supported 150hp in current form. Don't need it louder is just right for me Bob

For that very reason I am going to test the closed end cap too.  I can live with quiet but I worked too hard at getting the 150 square and I don't want to throw it away over a few decibels.  I beat on it every day and want to up the sneak around factor (and maybe the left side too  :teeth: ).
KD

Barrett

I got a steal on an Eseries for $100. I plan on using it on my 117" so I bought an extra 8 disc.
On the 103" it runs best as is. I went from 12 to 23. It wasn't too loud w/23 but it didn't help it any.

IronButt70

November 17, 2019, 04:04:43 PM #35 Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 06:05:19 PM by IronButt70
Thanks for all the input guys. Much appreciate it. Weather and work permitting I'll play with it next week.
On another note I can see where this odd shaped muffler might not appeal to folks.

klammer76

Quote from: IronButt70 on November 17, 2019, 04:04:43 PM
Thanks for all the input guys. Much appreciate it. Weather and work permitting I'll play with it next week.
On another note I can see where this odd shaped muffler might not appeal to folks.
It really grows on you...

IronButt70

November 18, 2019, 05:28:49 AM #37 Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 07:35:58 AM by IronButt70
Quote from: klammer76 on November 17, 2019, 09:16:49 PM
I'm OK with the look but it does look weird when seen from behind. I'm sure I'll get some questions when my buds see it.  :gob:
Because this is going on a softail I'll have to mount it 90° from how it would go on an bagger.

klammer76

Quote from: IronButt70 on November 18, 2019, 05:28:49 AM
Quote from: klammer76 on November 17, 2019, 09:16:49 PM
I'm OK with the look but it does look weird when seen from behind. I'm sure I'll get some questions when my buds see it.  :gob:
Because this is going on a softail I'll have to mount it 90° from how it would go on an bagger.
Forgot that you have a softail.

FXDBI

They mount with the oval up and down on a Dyna. Very Happy with the 2/1 I bought.  Bob

IronButt70

Quote from: FXDBI on November 18, 2019, 01:14:11 PM
They mount with the oval up and down on a Dyna. Very Happy with the 2/1 I bought.  Bob
Nice looking ride. I used the fatcat chrome piece that covers the clamp but since it's flared to fit the fatcat muffler it looks kinda funky. May have to breakdown and buy the FM part. First test ride today.  :bike:

IronButt70

Unfortunately this collector has the weld.   :down:

IronButt70

Rode about 100 miles with the new muffler in traffic and on some back roads where I could run it up to 80. Definitely quitter than the fatcat but would like it a bit lower. Will experiment with less disks this weekend. Talked to Paul at FM about the disks looking bent. He said that is normal and is caused when the bolts are tightened and should not be an issue.  :bike:

Barrett

Between my supertrapp and my eseries I've found it better to put the bolts in the discs first then install it as a pack.
It doesn't bind that way.

klammer76

Quote from: Barrett on November 21, 2019, 07:02:06 AM
Between my supertrapp and my eseries I've found it better to put the bolts in the discs first then install it as a pack.
It doesn't bind that way.
Same way I do it also (after seeing BlackHills Ken do it while tuning my bike years ago). Make sure to use some anti seize also.

klammer76

Quote from: IronButt70 on November 19, 2019, 05:45:12 AM

Wow, interesting. Can you post a picture? Must be a whole different collector for the softail & dyna line?

The first picture of mine is the FM e-series. You can see it is smooth and seamless (no weld)

Second picture is the original White Bro's mocked up on the FM head pipe. The weld is shown on that one.

IronButt70

Quote from: klammer76 on November 21, 2019, 08:47:12 AM

Wow, interesting. Can you post a picture? Must be a whole different collector for the softail & dyna line?

The first picture of mine is the FM e-series. You can see it is smooth and seamless (no weld)

Second picture is the original White Bro's mocked up on the FM head pipe. The weld is shown on that one.
The muffler is mounted with the weld facing down so there is really no way to easily get a pic. It runs the entire length of the muffler. The problem weld was actually on the head pipe. My bad on that. Would only let muffler slide on so far. Think they only make I muffler for any 2 1/2" head pipe. There was no model specific choice when I ordered it. The mounts appear to be for a bagger so I had to fabricate a plate for my softail.

klammer76

Quote from: IronButt70 on November 21, 2019, 01:00:04 PM

The muffler is mounted with the weld facing down so there is really no way to easily get a pic. It runs the entire length of the muffler. The problem weld was actually on the head pipe. My bad on that. Would only let muffler slide on so far. Think they only make I muffler for any 2 1/2" head pipe. There was no model specific choice when I ordered it. The mounts appear to be for a bagger so I had to fabricate a plate for my softail.

Don't know if it will help your situation or not but if you look at my second picture there is a small piece of pipe on the floor. Fuel Moto sells an extension to go on other head pipes when using the e-series (it is in the picture on the FM site with the e-series muffler and shield). FM wants crazy money for that little piece of exhaust pipe extension. I picked the small pipe extension up at local Advance Auto, put a couple of slits in it and had the same thing. Wound up not needing it. There was really no difference between the FM collector and the original White Bros on the dyno.

IronButt70

Quote from: klammer76 on November 21, 2019, 05:42:40 PM
Quote from: IronButt70 on November 21, 2019, 01:00:04 PM

Don't know if it will help your situation or not but if you look at my second picture there is a small piece of pipe on the floor. Fuel Moto sells an extension to go on other head pipes when using the e-series (it is in the picture on the FM site with the e-series muffler and shield). FM wants crazy money for that little piece of exhaust pipe extension. I picked the small pipe extension up at local Advance Auto, put a couple of slits in it and had the same thing. Wound up not needing it. There was really no difference between the FM collector and the original White Bros on the dyno.
Saw the FM part and the price. No thanks. Will live with the fatcat one for now. I'll check the AA parts place for what you used.