April 26, 2024, 07:52:40 PM

News:

Johnson Hylift circlip

Started by tdrglide, November 10, 2019, 09:15:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tdrglide

Johnson Hylift circlip tab. Noticed this when reassembling after top end rebuild. About 10,000 mi. on them. Lifters were quiet. Johnson Hylift with limiters.

Timinator

Circlip issues are usually caused by insufficient preload, causing the plunger to contact the circlip when the cam is on the base circle. The cylinder and head "grows" with heat allowing the plunger to rest higher in the lifter bore to take up the "lash".
As you all know I am a proponent of using a lot more preload than is the accepted norm in my quest for higher HP. I have never experienced any circlip issues, even with the cheaper wire type, since I have run more preload. Though I have experienced circlip damage when running a quarter turn preload in the old days. TIMINATOR
MODESTY IS A CRUTCH FOR THE INCOMPETENT!!!

tdrglide

These have limiters. Set up 2 flats off the limiters. Circlip looks ok except the ear. Maybe I should pull the cam cover off and see if it is down there. If not :idunno:

Timinator

If not, it is probably in the "witches hat" screen in the oil pump return in the cam plate. TIMINATOR
MODESTY IS A CRUTCH FOR THE INCOMPETENT!!!

Chippitt68

I may have gotten yours by mistake

wfolarry

Front exhaust?
I have replacement clips or wire retainers I can send you if you want to go that route.
I've only had one other customer have this problem & he said it was from the S&S pushrods making contact. Haven't been able to verify it & S&S pushrods are used by a lot of builders.

tdrglide

Interesting. It's the rear exhaust. But I am using S&S pushrods. I'll check again for any contact. Never heard anything there. Pushrod tubes are clearanced at tops.  Thanks.

FSG

Quote from: Timinator on November 10, 2019, 11:10:44 AM
If not, it is probably in the "witches hat" screen in the oil pump return in the cam plate. TIMINATOR

:scratch:  what "witches hat" you referring too

you thinking of the screen on the feed to the balancers on a B Engine ?

Y2KRKNG

Quote from: FSG on November 11, 2019, 01:21:34 PM
Quote from: Timinator on November 10, 2019, 11:10:44 AM

:scratch:  what "witches hat" you referring too

you thinking of the screen on the feed to the balancers on a B Engine ?
Remember seeing a screen like that on an Evo
ATP(TurboHarry)95",Mik45,Branch/Mik "Flowmetric" heads,TW55,T.Header 2-1