April 26, 2024, 08:56:18 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Are there any generic code readers/scanners for motorcycles

Started by Iron horse, November 15, 2019, 04:31:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iron horse

So they make these things for cars . But how about a OBD ll reader for our bikes .

Rockout Rocker Products

November 15, 2019, 05:36:32 PM #1 Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 08:42:37 PM by Rockout Rocker Products
On my Triumph i can change/modify the tune, read codes, cycle ABS, turn features on/off..... all with a $20 android app and generic cable. Check out Tune ECU. Works with lots of bikes..... Not Harleys of course  :doh:
www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

Ohio HD

You can get the codes right off the bike via the odometer. 

Iron horse

Quote from: Ohio HD on November 15, 2019, 05:44:52 PM
You can get the codes right off the bike via the odometer.
Yes but can you clear them or read outputs in ohm's or volts . It would be nice if there was a user app for our phones that would really give use a good look at the whole system . Not just a code #

rigidthumper

Any of the flash tuners can be used as data monitors. You could borrow (or purchase) a used tuner & cables just so you can see what your bike is doing.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

PoorUB

It is funny how auto manufacturers have a standard with OBDII, I realize the EPA had a part in it, but no standard exists for motorcycles. Everyone does their own thing.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Buglet

I think Europe has it or going to have it soon and the U S is right behind them.

speedzter

It's not generic, but looks like it does what you want ...... at $299  !!  edit: looks like $199 now

https://blog.motorcycle.com/2017/04/05/products/harley-davidson-smartphone-diagnostic-tool/

Iron horse

I check it out on amazon $239 , but it got bad reviews. Maybe will see a company with a very good name for making auto scanners , make a model for Harley's soon .
And maybe the other American motorcycle company uses the same type of system so it will be for all bikes , snowmobiles, etc .

Geezer_Glider

As Rigidthumper suggested a used flash tuner and cable will do everything except flash a new tune. They are really cheap after they are married to someone other bike. Maybe 10 or 20 bucks. Don't know why people don't keep them with the bike, but there are a lot out there. Great tool to have.
R Meyer

Pirsch Fire Wagon

Quote from: PoorUB on November 16, 2019, 07:54:54 AM
It is funny how auto manufacturers have a standard with OBDII, I realize the EPA had a part in it, but no standard exists for motorcycles. Everyone does their own thing.

Actually, Harley-Davidson's are OBD2 Compliant. It's just accessed via a four or six pin Molex Connector. Both Snap-On, MAC and many other Scantools work on Harley-Davidson with the Cross-Over Cable. All PID's can be monitored and individual CAN Modules on 13 and later.

FYI: every Vehicle manufactured since 1996 is OBD2 Compliant. Previous years back untill 1982 are OBD1 Compliant. And, we're getting ready for OBD3 in the near future.
Tom

PoorUB

I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Pirsch Fire Wagon

Quote from: PoorUB on November 22, 2019, 07:48:09 PM
Well, that has been a well kept secret!

In the Advanced Power Train Class in WI they're now teaching the use of Oscilloscope Diagnostics as the next Gen DT-II-VIM allows the Tech to Diagnose using Wave-forms and Scantool Data (PID's).

I've had a two-channel Scope for eons and use it regularly so the class was not a challenge for me. However, the Fail Rate is about 65% currently.

I've sold everyone on the use of the Wave Form - Just haven't sold them on buying a Scope yet! Cheap A$$ Techs won't spend the $1k. There are several one-channel-Scopes referred to as "Run-N-Gun" which you can carry in your pocket for about $400 - I use it more than the four channel I CAN NEVER FIND! :)
Tom

jty

Quote from: Pirsch Fire Wagon on November 22, 2019, 05:08:08 PM

Actually, Harley-Davidson's are OBD2 Compliant. It's just accessed via a four or six pin Molex Connector. Both Snap-On, MAC and many other Scantools work on Harley-Davidson with the Cross-Over Cable. All PID's can be monitored and individual CAN Modules on 13 and later.

FYI: every Vehicle manufactured since 1996 is OBD2 Compliant. Previous years back untill 1982 are OBD1 Compliant. And, we're getting ready for OBD3 in the near future.
Well yes and no.
The Delphi-equipped Harleys are electronically and transport protocol compatible with OBD2 but not the OBD2 diagnostics protocol (ie. J1979). Obd compatible means that vehicle responds to standard diagnostic commands and delphi ecu does not do that and typically OBD software is not compatible.
However as you said, a OBD2 reader can be almost trivially connected to the data link connector and the bus data can be monitored. Problem is that parts of the protocol is apparently HD proprietary.

What kind of software are you looking for? PC or Smartphone? What features would you want?
I am thinking about making such app but do not think there is enough market for that to be feasible.
You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists office

jty

I made an electronic speedo for my 2008 Road King using the RaspberryPi minicomputer, OBD2, and few other sensors.
https://www.facebook.com/jyrkiylinokari/videos/a.10154880390334843/10155933899469843

Karl H.

Dyna Wide Glide '03, Softail Deluxe '13, Street Glide '14, Sportster 883R '15

jty

Quote from: Karl H. on November 25, 2019, 11:24:01 PM
:baby:

Could you explain more in detail how you did this?

Karl
Sure, I'll write a thread about it to the electrical forum in a few days

Pirsch Fire Wagon

Quote from: jty on November 25, 2019, 12:03:52 PM

Well yes and no.
The Delphi-equipped Harleys are electronically and transport protocol compatible with OBD2 but not the OBD2 diagnostics protocol (ie. J1979). Obd compatible means that vehicle responds to standard diagnostic commands and delphi ecu does not do that and typically OBD software is not compatible.
However as you said, a OBD2 reader can be almost trivially connected to the data link connector and the bus data can be monitored. Problem is that parts of the protocol is apparently HD proprietary.

What kind of software are you looking for? PC or Smartphone? What features would you want?
I am thinking about making such app but do not think there is enough market for that to be feasible.

Yes and No -

An OBD I, II, or III (European)  compliant vehicle can use any of the five communication protocols:

SAE J1850 PWM
SAE J1850 VPW,
ISO9141-2
ISO14230-4 (KWP2000), and since
2003 also ISO 15765-4/SAE J2480. ELM-USB and OBDTester support all of them (H-D) . (The J1979 is the "Pin #7 Two Way international monitoring Standard" - #4 / 5 depending on which Non/CanBUS on the Connector)  ISO9141/14230 is the MUST Have.

The RULE IS - All OBD-II Compliant Systems are Open Source. The ONLY proprietary is the Programming Any OBD-II Protocol can be "Hacked" for a few Dollars. Systems such as Technoresearch and others pay for the Data (a onetime fee) which the Manufacturer must provide.

This is Done by using a VCM (Vehicle Communications Module). H-D uses the VCM-III Module (hitting Dealerships now - Upgraded for Expansion)

Chrysler (Fiat) however, has such a complex system, very few, if any can reproduce an effective protocol - From my reading, they have done this to add cost. However, a company called "AutoEnguinity" cracked the code and is sharing it in its generic form as required.

**It is said, anyone with a microprocessor knowledge can make one fairly inexpensive. I unfortunately, do not have that knowledge. As a result, I have many, many, many, thousands of dollars invested in just about every tool on the Market. As well as the same invested in training.
Tom

jty

Quote from: Pirsch Fire Wagon on November 27, 2019, 10:38:39 AM
Quote from: jty on November 25, 2019, 12:03:52 PM

Well yes and no.

Yes and No -

An OBD I, II, or III (European)  compliant vehicle can use any of the five communication protocols:

SAE J1850 PWM
SAE J1850 VPW,
ISO9141-2
ISO14230-4 (KWP2000), and since
2003 also ISO 15765-4/SAE J2480. ELM-USB and OBDTester support all of them (H-D) . (The J1979 is the "Pin #7 Two Way international monitoring Standard" - #4 / 5 depending on which Non/CanBUS on the Connector)  ISO9141/14230 is the MUST Have.

The RULE IS - All OBD-II Compliant Systems are Open Source. The ONLY proprietary is the Programming Any OBD-II Protocol can be "Hacked" for a few Dollars. Systems such as Technoresearch and others pay for the Data (a onetime fee) which the Manufacturer must provide.

This is Done by using a VCM (Vehicle Communications Module). H-D uses the VCM-III Module (hitting Dealerships now - Upgraded for Expansion)

Chrysler (Fiat) however, has such a complex system, very few, if any can reproduce an effective protocol - From my reading, they have done this to add cost. However, a company called "AutoEnguinity" cracked the code and is sharing it in its generic form as required.

**It is said, anyone with a microprocessor knowledge can make one fairly inexpensive. I unfortunately, do not have that knowledge. As a result, I have many, many, many, thousands of dollars invested in just about every tool on the Market. As well as the same invested in training.
Yes, any usb or bluetooth obd2 reader can talk to HD delphi ecu, the data that is exchanged is partially proprietary. For example, apparently ecu updates the amount of fuel burned, so i can see a number but i do not know what the number means. However, much of the data dor example in the older j1850 based twin cams is J2718 standards compatible but afaik not an open source standard. Thus I have spent quite a bit of time deciphering the data and still some of the pids/packets are unclear to me.

FXDBI

https://www.amazon.com/AM-HARLEY-Motorcycle-Diagnostic-Upgrade-Software/dp/B00E8D738M/ref=sr_1_35?crid=HZWAR6Y77YS1&keywords=harley+davidson+tools&qid=1574966798&sprefix=harley+davidson+tools%2Caps%2C205&sr=8-35

xlfan

I see that only Delphi efi is referenced as OBDII 'somewhat' compatible.

Does that mean that MM efi isn't even 'somewhat' OBDII compatible?

chipthedonkey

It's not cheap but don't forget the little Twin Scan tool from Daytona.  With it you can monitor, read, clear, etc and bleed ABS system.  Just another option in the mix.

black

Quote from: rigidthumper on November 16, 2019, 06:35:58 AM
Any of the flash tuners can be used as data monitors. You could borrow (or purchase) a used tuner & cables just so you can see what your bike is doing.
Yup powervision will tell you anything you want to know
send  lawyers guns and money

xlfan

I guess neither the Twin Scan nor the Power Vision  are MM EFI compatible.

Coyote

Quote from: xlfan on June 27, 2020, 10:51:15 AM
I guess neither the Twin Scan nor the Power Vision  are MM EFI compatible.

No, it's a completely different animal.

xlfan

So.....this boils down to without a H-D proprietary Scanalyzer you are stuck with a MM EFI bike, regarding historic DTC's?

smoserx1

QuoteSo.....this boils down to without a H-D proprietary Scanalyzer you are stuck with a MM EFI bike, regarding historic DTC's?

Not according to the service manual I have for the 99 FLT models.  In the fuel injection section (chapter 9) it states if not using the scanalyzer to turn the ignition switch to run for 3 seconds then to off for 3 seconds, then repeat that procedure again.  Then turn the key to ignition and wait 8 seconds and that will put the check engine lamp and ecm in diagnostic mode (pretty much like jumping pins 1 and 2 for the data link connector in the carburetor models).  Then you count the series of flashes to get the codes.  Give it a try and see what happens.

xlfan

The 2000 FLT SM, also states that historic set DTC's, is't available for speedo readout. The speedo readout for this specific bike indicated no DTC's present.