April 26, 2024, 01:55:44 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Oil sumping on 01 FLH

Started by ultraglide59, December 17, 2019, 06:33:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ultraglide59

Ok here is whats happening. Cam tensioners were shot. Changed them out along with new pump and bearings. All new seals on the pump. Ran fine for a few days then oil light came on. Put mechanical guage on no pressure at port. Pulled cams and blew port out. Out back together and have good oil pressure. Now it will not pull oil out of motor. Tore down again and put old oil pump back in. Same issue. Bike starts runs fine for a minute or two then will not rev up like its supposed to.(Almost like its hitting on one cylinder) Pull cam cover and get between 1 - 1.5 qts  of oil out of motor, Ive had it apart probably ten times. Blew out every passage I could find. Same thing happens every time. Will not sump. Hate to give up but I am at a loss. Been working on bikes 10 years and have never seen this before.

remington007

Did you check the pressure relief valve in the cam plate? Sounds like the valve is stuck open.

ultraglide59

Would that cause the oil to not pump out of the crankcase?

Trev T

That would cause lack of pressure and fill the crankcase. Did you check that the oil pump gears and spacers/wave spring are installed correctly in the pump(s) ? the relief would be the first pace to look. 

Geezer_Glider

Could be blocked pick-up port in crankcase. Also check or just as easy, replace the two hoses for engine to pan on the outside of the motor.
R Meyer

ultraglide59

Quote from: Geezer_Glider on December 18, 2019, 10:01:30 AM
Could be blocked pick-up port in crankcase. Also check or just as easy, replace the two hoses for engine to pan on the outside of the motor.
R Meyer

Yes the gears are correct. Wavy in the middle of two flats. Both dots facing out.

ultraglide59

Quote from: TREV T on December 17, 2019, 03:33:37 PM
That would cause lack of pressure and fill the crankcase. Did you check that the oil pump gears and spacers/wave spring are installed correctly in the pump(s) ? the relief would be the first pace to look.

40 psi cold idle. Ill tear it down and check the relief valve

les

How's the oil pump scavenge port o-ring?  Pinched or cut?

ultraglide59

I have replaced it twice and doubled up once. Still loading up crankcase. Going to pull it all apart tomorrow again. Cam chest, oil pan, and the oil hoses all coming apart. The only time I had a pinched oring is when I put it together with the oring on the oil pump.

rigidthumper

Possibly a piece of oring, case sealant,  or debris in the cross over passage that connects the flywheel cavity to the scavenge side of the pump. It's only about 1/8" diameter. You can carefully remove the plug in the bottom of the case and use a small cam to see if there's any contaminate in that passageway. If you use air pressure on the oil pump pick up cavity, you may easily just push whatever it is back into the flywheel cavity.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

ultraglide59

Drained oil out of crankcase and came up with some pieces of aluminum and some brass. Customer road bike maybe 60 miles with oil light on but no motor noise. ( Yes we know it should not have been road with an oil light on but its over now)  I stuck a piece of hose up into drain hole on crankcase and it came straight up into the cam chest. So I guess the sump for the crankcase is at this point.

rigidthumper

If you have aluminum and brass in the crankcase oil, that engine needs complete tear down & repair/replace every damaged piece, every bearing replaced, remove/clean oil pan, every rubber line replaced, new oil cooler if equipped. Source of contamination will be determined/corrected during teardown.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

ultraglide59

Well the guy had changed his own oil before all this and lost his drain plug out of the bottom of the motor. Said he forgot to tighten it up. After all this I find out he bought a drain plug from the auto parts store and put it in blocking the pick up port for the crank case. Don't you love it when people don't tell you what they have done. Guess I should have pulled the plug earlier. Funny thing is he road it in and never said it had lost power. Came in for an oil light staying on after the cam tensioner swap

FSG

Quoteand lost his drain plug out of the bottom of the motor.

hope you tell him it's not a plug he should be pulling on a regular basis unless of course he's got deep pockets to cover a new set of cases when he fatally damages the ones he has now

fbn ent

'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta