April 27, 2024, 06:24:40 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

GEN light 53 Pan 12 V

Started by gilb, November 12, 2008, 09:36:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pendo31 and 16 Guests are viewing this topic.

gilb

I am trying to figure out how to get my GEN light to work.  I have a 53 Panhead with a 12V generator.  On the regulator, on one side of it there is a red and black wire connected to two different terminals, with the black wire going to the F connector on the generator and the red going to the ignition switch.  A green wire connects to the A connector on the generator then connects to the other side of the regulator, then a black and white wire which connects to that same terminal as that green wire and is routed up under the tank and is not hooked to anything.  Do I just need to connect this wire to the plus side of the gen light and ground the other side?  In looking at the original wire diagram there should be three wires coming up from the generator, but I realize that is for the 6 volt type with a relay.

One other thing concerning the wiring.  There are 4 wires that come up between the tank from the plate behind the coil which looks to be correct to the wire diagram, however there is suppose to be another harness also with the same colored 4 wires from H/L terminal plate, but I only have the red and green wires and no yellow or black.  Any idea as to that problem?   I am just trying to correct things as I install a new instrument panel.

Thanks!

Trip

Yep...put your light on one end of the A (green/Wht ) wire and ground the the other side....now it all depends on what you want the light to indicate..No charge....Good Charge...Ign or Relay...its up to you..it depends on where you take the wire from...

pan64

If you ground the other side of the light it will be on all the time when the generator is working. connect the other side to the batt + and it will just read the difference between gen output and battery voltage, dim if output is low, bright if no output. The lamp sockets in the dash are not grounded for that reason.

Trip

"now it all depends on what you want the light to indicate" ..... :idea:

gilb

I am still having a problem on this.  The Gen light now seems to be OK, but not the oil pressure.  I have the same hot wire going to both lights and the other side of the Gen light connects to the generator and that seems to be OK.  The other side of the oil pressure light connects to the oil sender unit, but that light will not light.  However, If I connect a test light to the wire from the oil sender it lights properly.  I am not sure what this indicates.  As soon as I remove the test light the light is off.

Thanks

chris haynes

The oil sender is the ground. If the light doesn't come on with the key on and engine not running you have one of three problems. Bad connection or switch. No power getting to dash. Burned out bulb.
NRA Member
Costco Member
Iron Butt Association Member I can't Re Member

gilb

Thanks Chris,

That is what I needed to know, about the sending unit wire being the ground.  The problem was the connection at the oil pressure switch.  Also, thanks to everyone else for the help on this!