April 26, 2024, 12:14:53 AM

News:

New H-D 128-131 kits

Started by VernDiesel, January 14, 2020, 07:32:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hd06myway

What do all the doubters and haters have to say now?  Harley's DESTROYING the competition!

rbabos

Quote from: hd06myway on January 25, 2020, 10:14:22 AM
What do all the doubters and haters have to say now?  Harley's DESTROYING the competition!
Put the same money into the competition and see what you get. Durability is yet to be proven.
Ron

Ohio HD

I wonder if it has the sumping feature like OEM does?       :pop:

PoorUB

Destroying who?

Still rides like a '50's farm truck. It takes more than HP to make a performance motorcycle.

Back in the 70's a friend of mine dropped a 440 Chrysler engine into a 1966 Chevy Pickup. It went like a raped ape, still rode and cornered like a '66 Chevy pickup. Pretty much what Harley is building today.

I will agree the Harley HP was lacking. A warmed up 103" TC was good for me HP wise. The M8 114", If they don't sump, is probably good enough HP wise for most of us.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

IronButt70

Quote from: PoorUB on January 25, 2020, 12:46:55 PM

Destroying who?
Vespa. :hyst:
No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

hd06myway

Destroying who?

Still rides like a '50's farm truck. It takes more than HP to make a performance motorcycle.

Back in the 70's a friend of mine dropped a 440 Chrysler engine into a 1966 Chevy Pickup. It went like a raped ape, still rode and cornered like a '66 Chevy pickup. Pretty much what Harley is building today.

I will agree the Harley HP was lacking. A warmed up 103" TC was good for me HP wise. The M8 114", If they don't sump, is probably good enough HP wise for most of us.
Oh come on Poor a farm truck gimmie a break!  You got a motor cycle peforming like a Mustang Cobra GT and your comparing it to a 50's farm truck whata you smokin?!

kd

Quote from: hd06myway on January 26, 2020, 12:06:24 AM

Destroying who?

Oh come on Poor a farm truck gimmie a break!  You got a motor cycle peforming like a Mustang Cobra GT and your comparing it to a 50's farm truck whata you smokin?!

ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Usv2xLE9qk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPMgyvmxPgI
KD

Nastytls

Destroying who?

:hyst: Truth hurts for some. Don't think this will be destroying anything other than stock 107/114/117's and stock TS111" Indians. Maybe it gives the new Challanger a run for it's money. Time will tell.

While this is nice to see they're making this engine, it should be standard in a CVO and at the very least an option for "Specials" like the 114" is. Now that we know they can make this and have it be 49 state legal, they have no excuse other than a pure cash grab.

hd06myway

Quote from: kd on January 26, 2020, 06:06:09 AM
Quote from: hd06myway on January 26, 2020, 12:06:24 AM

Destroying who?

ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Usv2xLE9qk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPMgyvmxPgI
:smileo: :teeth:

hd06myway

Nice to see the haters and doubters come out into the light  ... why dontcha all go ride somethin' else ..

IronButt70

Quote from: hd06myway on January 26, 2020, 07:31:14 AM
Nice to see the haters and doubters come out into the light  ... why dontcha all go ride somethin' else ..
So the truth = haters and doubters? Got it.
No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

PoorUB

Quote from: hd06myway on January 26, 2020, 12:06:24 AMOh come on Poor a farm truck gimmie a break!  You got a motor cycle peforming like a Mustang Cobra GT and your comparing it to a 50's farm truck whata you smokin?!

Seriously?? You are comparing a heavy, fat Harley with practically no suspension to a Mustang Cobra just because you can drop 150 HP into it? Have you ridden any other motorcycle that actually has decent suspension and a decent engine??

You can drop 400 HP into a 1964 Mustang, it doesn't make it a performance vehicle. It can go fast in a straight line, but still rides and handles like crap.

The Mustang has a suspension designed in the last decade, and designed for performance and handling, the Harley suspension has be pretty much unchanged in 40 years or more, other than some fancy adjustable shocks that are no better than the air shocks. Sure HD stiffened up the frame a couple times, but the suspension still sucks butt. It is just crying out for mono shock rear suspension with 5" of travel, and the front forks need work too. Plus they cam peel 100 pounds off of the baggers somewhere.

My 2016 will be my last Harley, unless the Moco decides to do something major with the frame.

I bought a BMW in 2018 and box stock it smokes my warmed up 103" in every way. Accelerates faster, rides and handles  better, and gets better MPG. Oh, and it cost less money.

Don't misunderstand me. I like my Harley, but it is not a performance motorcycle.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Hossamania

January 26, 2020, 09:30:06 AM #62 Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 10:48:45 AM by Hossamania
Quote from: hd06myway on January 26, 2020, 07:31:14 AM

Well, maybe the doubters remember the cylinder liners moving on the 110s when they first came out, the cam bearings failing on the first Twin Cams, cranks having some issues on later TCs, the M8s transferring and sumping, the 120s having issues when released, and not one recall on any of those issues.
Just some reasons for a little doubt. And I really do like my HDs.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

hattitude

Really.....???

Seems more like Harley is trying to respond to the competition... certainly not "destroying" the competition with these kits.

Several good, solid aftermarket big bore kits making tons of power in M8s.... they don't have out of round cylinders, or seem to increase the chances of sumping, like the early Harley M8 stage IV kits....

Time will tell if the Harley kits are in the same league as the aftermarket kits...

Additionally, all the Harley kits are sold with EPA compliant exhaust & tuners... they should keep your warranty (good), but will not make near the power of the aftermarket kits (bad), at a higher cost...

kd

You can save your shekels for the day your warranty ends and upgrades will not effect anything other than your satisfaction level.  You'll have plenty of time to study what is working for your style of riding.
KD

Hillside Motorcycle

Quote from: Nastytls on January 15, 2020, 12:01:42 PM
Quote from: Hillside Motorcycle on January 15, 2020, 04:25:31 AM
Just finished an S&S 128" kit Monday, with our HMM Heads.
136 hp/157 ft/lbs.

Good for you. What does it have to do with the new SE 128" kit?  :down:

Yup.
Good for us...thanks! :smile:
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Don D

they don't have out of round cylinders, or seem to increase the chances of sumping, like the early Harley M8 stage IV kits....

IME the Drag Specialties imports are the best. The others are not straight and true from day one unless I plate and hone them. The new steel lined cylinder from HD is too new to judge.

rbabos

Quote from: HD Street Performance on January 27, 2020, 04:37:53 AM
they don't have out of round cylinders, or seem to increase the chances of sumping, like the early Harley M8 stage IV kits....

IME the Drag Specialties imports are the best. The others are not straight and true from day one unless I plate and hone them. The new steel lined cylinder from HD is too new to judge.
My issue with any of these damn air cooled cyls is even if you start out straight, how many remain that way? You can't blast one side of a cyl with colder air and expect it to remain round in the long term. One of the reasons that nikasil "Potty mouth" never works on them. Not enough mass to retain shape.
Ron

Don D

I wonder if HD experimented with water cooled cylinders. The provision is already in the heads to feed.

rbabos

Quote from: HD Street Performance on January 27, 2020, 05:20:24 AM
I wonder if HD experimented with water cooled cylinders. The provision is already in the heads to feed.
I think we can both agree, it's time they did on the big twins and take them to the next level.  I think most can tolerate a rad if there's 40-50-60 more ponies to be had as a result. Maybe not, or it would have happened by now.
Ron

Hossamania

I just read that these motors do not fit in trikes. Not sure if that is true, or if there are other reasons that do not work in that application. Seems that trikes in general could always use a little more power.

JMHD

Quote from: Hossamania on January 29, 2020, 08:27:48 AM
I just read that these motors do not fit in trikes. Not sure if that is true, or if there are other reasons that do not work in that application. Seems that trikes in general could always use a little more power.
Usually when the leave the trike out of something performance wise it's because they don't have a calibration for the street tuner yet. They definitely could benefit from a bit more power.

Rockout Rocker Products

Maybe they're concerned about what launching 1500+ pounds of bike/rider/gear will do to the rest of the components?
www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

92flhtcu

I'm sure Rockout nailed that aspect of why no Tri-Glide/Freewheeler
Need a bigger garage

Hossamania

January 29, 2020, 06:32:39 PM #74 Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 06:38:29 PM by Hossamania
One more reason that I'm really thinking Boss Hoss if I have to go trike. Just blast the throttle and hang on. Steer by throttle, turn left, twist throttle, counter steer right like I'm drifting in the dirt.
Then have a wheel catch, go tumbling over causing some expensive damage, get some help to flip it back on its wheels, and quietly have a friend take me to the hospital to repair my destroyed shoulder.