April 26, 2024, 09:22:46 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

2006 Ultra cam choice ?

Started by Tattoo, January 15, 2020, 05:08:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tattoo

Hey guys I got a customer with a 2006 Ultra Classic with a dealer 95"(flat tops) kit install with 203 cams,stock header pipe and V&H slip ons, high flow AC. Customer wants to have a little more pull up through the rpm range and was asking for a cam change. Im installing the 24 tooth front comp sprocket and was looking at the Andrews 37 cams or even the SE 204's. the tuner is a PC 5 any thoughts would greatly appreciated.
"You can have anything you want
But you better not take it from me"

hogmandon

I had the 37s with SE high lift rockers in my 98ci 06 RG for awhile. very nice smooth cam. I think I had it at 9.8 to 1 compression and cleaned up ports. Had enough on the bottom for me Power ran right to red line 6200 with PC V and made 106 hp and a few less tq. The 06 was the last yr of light bikes I think. Mine is now around 720 dry.

PoorUB

The 37's won't make an incredible difference over the 203's, just a couple degrees difference and a tiny bit more lift. I have to wonder what is the compression and tune. Does anyone know if the heads are stock? Milled?
I would be tempted to leave in the 203's, do the heads, bump the compression and get a real tuning device.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

hattitude

FWIW....

I had an '03  Heritage with thew same big bore kit, pistons, & cams.

I originally used the HD download with the kit and it ran well. I later had DynoJet "improve" the tune and flashed it with a PowerVision... The bike ran really well....

When I addressed the spring cam tensioners, I ended up going with the Andrews 26 conversion cams.. The bike runs really well.... probably a little better... not a super noticeable difference..

They seem to be better than the SE203 cams, but I would not have switched out the SE203 cams except they couldn't be used with the '07+ cam plate..

rigidthumper

With 2006 (86 cc) heads, the typical dealer build (using the parts that came with the 95/203 kit) ended up 9:1. Very safe, and it provided a nice bump for the 88" bagger riders, yielding upper 80s torque, and upper 70s HP, with that tuner & exhaust . The most common change to that kit was inspired by the Joe Minton build- use a Cometic .030" HG to get the comp up to 9.3, and Andrews 21s to improve the below 4000 RPM area.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Tattoo

The heads are stock ,with a stock head gasket. Milling or removing the heads at this time is not a option.
"You can have anything you want
But you better not take it from me"

rking1550

124"@ 11.1 to 1, T-man 662-2, T-man thumper, woods CV 51 carb,  Bassini RR

You can run Andrews 48 with the 06 heads. It likes the 4" stroke. I have this setup in an 05 ultra.  You could also try tts 100.

Hossamania

The 204s run out pretty well, good midrange and not bad as they get in the upper rpm's, more so than the 203s. They like the 95" conversion pretty well, and not very expensive. A proper tune has to be budgeted (rather than just a canned map, imo).
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

sfmichael

Lots of good replies here - I'm with Poor UB

Lots of good cams for that motor (incl all the ones already mentioned) but I would include the 203 in that group - don't think a cam change alone will deliver a significant improvement

Squeeze it and tune it - and port the heads if in the budget
Colorado Springs, CO.

PoorUB

Quote from: Tattoo on January 15, 2020, 09:39:53 AM
The heads are stock ,with a stock head gasket. Milling or removing the heads at this time is not a option.

Why is that?
IMO, the existing cams are fine, you won't do a whole lot better with any other "drop in" cam. Pull the heads and mill them .030", street port, and a better tuning device with a decent tune.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Roadflyer

I had 203's on my 95" 2005. When I decided to do the tensioners, I went with Andrews 54's.
While the 54's were stronger in the midrange and carried out a bit further, they also were a little bit noisy when the bike was hot.
All things considered, I should have left the 203's in.

wolf_59

I run S&S 551 in my 06 ultra classic with a 95" and stock heads and tuned with TTS street tuned with O2 sensor conversion

Hilly13

Tattoo, if pulling the heads is not an option then maybe a good look at the exhaust and a better tuner plus tune would give him a smile, given his leaning the other cams that would work are not that much different than what he has already.
Just because its said don't make it so

Hillside Motorcycle

Dollar spent, vs gains at this point w/o cylinder head removal/work will be counterproductive.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

RTMike

For a bolt on S&S 551 eazey start,if you do the heads and adjust compression to 9.5 TMan torque 510

Barrett

My 08 96" was just soso with 37's. A $299. streetport, .030HG and 1.725 rockers made a big difference.

Dogbone45ACP

24/37 primary from a early bike will feel much better. It will give 3.37:1 in 5th vs 3.15.

smoserx1

Hossamania

I also agree on the gear change. It helped wake up the low end, and works better at hiway speeds. Add a cam and it will feel much more alive.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

sfmichael

If I recall correctly he stuck a 48 in it and everybody's happy   :bike:
Colorado Springs, CO.