April 26, 2024, 09:52:20 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

10 mm phat screaming eagle wires

Started by chas, February 24, 2020, 08:57:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chas

Hi - I put in a new pair of screaming eagle wires and noticed a big difference in throttle response! Do they carry more voltage, or or quicker voltage because of the diameter? Should I think about larger volume fuel injectors? I'm using  equivalent ngk spark plugs. Might think about going back to the Harley plugs. What do you think?

Hybredhog

If your stock wires had some time/ mileage on them (50k+), almost anything will feel better. Big fat wires are more cosmetic than not, and only really come into play if the coil is throwing out really big voltage (100K+) like in a top fuel system. As for plugs, most of all the hype is snake oil, and stock plugs or equivalent are fine.
'01 FXDXT, '99 FXDL/XRD, '76 FLH

PoorUB

What do you think?

I think you had bad wires, or a placebo effect. Spark plug wires will not give some magical horse power increase unless the old wires were shot.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

hogmandon

I did the same thing NGK plugs and SE fat wires. ohms were different from stock and screwed with the computer. Ran great but after a while engine light came on. Went back to stock wire and V Rod plugs. All is good

Pirsch Fire Wagon

Quote from: chas on February 24, 2020, 08:57:30 AM
Hi - I put in a new pair of screaming eagle wires and noticed a big difference in throttle response! Do they carry more voltage, or or quicker voltage because of the diameter? Should I think about larger volume fuel injectors? I'm using  equivalent ngk spark plugs. Might think about going back to the Harley plugs. What do you think?

Yes. IF you have a High-Energy Coil and Electronic Ignition. Other than that, pretty much Snake Oil.
Tom

SmokyOwl

Quote from: jeffscycle on February 24, 2020, 09:17:06 AM
  If your stock wires had some time/ mileage on them (50k+), almost anything will feel better. Big fat wires are more cosmetic than not, and only really come into play if the coil is throwing out really big voltage (100K+) like in a top fuel system. As for plugs, most of all the hype is snake oil, and stock plugs or equivalent are fine.

:agree:  100%

I'm also assuming the spark plugs were changed as well, in which new ones would also make probably more difference than the wires.  I'd bet that your paying extra for more rubber insulation than any increase to actual wire diameter too.
"Attack life.  It's going to kill you anyways." - Steve McQueen

smoserx1

I got a set laying around that I used for a very long time and lots of miles and I finally just got tired of the orange color.  I had gone to the dealer to buy a set of stock wires and this is all they had.  My only complaint was they were too big to fit into the cable clamps on the frame, so I used zip ties.  No they did not produce any more power but for me knowing its one less thing to worry about makes them seem worthwhile.  If I had gotten the black ones they would still be on there.  And I also used NGK iridium plugs.  Since my bike does not use ion sensing technology I don't have the issues some others have using non stock components