April 25, 2024, 10:50:36 PM

News:

Thoughts on grabbing a take off 110 from CVO?

Started by Shadowbennie, February 25, 2020, 02:39:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadowbennie

Hi All,

This just dropped in my lap. I wasn't considering a displacement increase as I just put CR-570-2's with some head shaving in my 103" last winter, but a buddy of mine just went with a 117, so he asked if I would be interested in his factory stage 3 110" cvo 4" jugs, pistons, etc. - I'm checking to see if it includes the heads, but he had 41K on the stock jugs & pistons.

I'm hesitant to say yes for a couple of reasons, but wanted to get some opinions to confirm my apprehension.

41K on the jugs & pistons - I'm probably looking at getting the jugs honed and would want new rings, right?

I'm not concerned about the pushrods, lifters, etc - as I just replaced those this winter, and this set would come with the HD 585 cams, but I'd probably look at an aftermarket cam for this setup anyway, so there's that expense as well.

If it doesn't include the heads, I'm guessing I'm not going to see very much improvement over what I have now, or, would it make a difference even with 103 heads? Can I even use my 103 heads on 110" jugs?

I guess it depends on what he's going to ask for it as well, but if you were me, would y'all steer clear, of if the price is right, be open to consideration?

rigidthumper

Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

turboprop

Unsolicited 'Good Deals' typically end up being very expensive. Lot of work and expense for 7".
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

kd

If needing a case bore you may as well go 117.   :SM:
KD

Shadowbennie

Quote from: rigidthumper on February 25, 2020, 02:44:44 PM
You need a case bore.

That kind of info right there is what I was concerned about, makes the decision easy then. Pass. Thanks rigid!

Deye76

You indicated "heads shaved", any porting done? If not, put your money there and a good tune.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

Shadowbennie

Quote from: Deye76 on February 26, 2020, 05:20:06 AM
You indicated "heads shaved", any porting done? If not, put your money there and a good tune.

Long, sorted story behind that - but in short, I had my heads off during my cam swap and while at it, had about .009 taken off to true them up, no porting as I was trying to keep costs down, but did get new valves & springs, then stuck 'em back on with a .040 cometic gasket.

At this point, if I break the engine down again, it'll be to go bigger c.i. with appropriate components, like Bob T.'s 113 setup..... :bike:

Boe Cole

I'm thinking I'd put my money in head porting before I went to the expense of case boring and new(?) pistons, rings, possible boring (depending on clearances), gaskets, etc - not to mention that it all may not be done in time to ride this summer......  As turboprop mentioned, a lot for 7".
We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

You could use those 110" jugs to make a 113". You'll still need the case bore, but realistically you'd also probably want to have your bottom end worked to support the power increase anyways. Then you also have a 117" ready case if you ever want/need the rebuild. You can use your 103" heads. I have .HDSP ported 96" heads on my 117 140/136.