May 04, 2024, 04:10:31 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Which Progressive Kit

Started by Alexintenn, February 26, 2020, 08:58:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alexintenn

I am going to purchase a Progressive kit to lower the front of my 2006 Road Glide.  Two different spring kits are available.  The "drop in kit" and another kit that uses a true progressively wound spring.  But the second kit requires taking the forks apart to install a top out spring.

Does anyone have experience with these?  The biggest thing I want to accomplish is eliminating some of the nose dive I get when I hit the brake.

I have done a bunch of reading about fork oil and got a lot of conflicting info.  I have am wondering if the bottle of Spectro 10 weight that I already have on the shelf will be ok.

I have installed progressively wound springs on other bikes and been happy with the result.  But if the drop in kit will eliminate a lot of the nose dive and be just a little bit firmer ride I might use it.

One more question, I am going to have the forks off either way.  How hard is it to take apart the forks and install new seals?  Will I have to buy a seal driver?  If that isn't too complicated I may get the other kit.

Hybredhog

I would stay away from "drop in kits", as they do just that, and ride like hell. If your going to have the tubes off, Drain them though the dampener hold bolt when you air it off (pneumatic with a long 6mm Allen socket) . Then take off the caps, the caps second because it helps hold the dampening rod during screw removal. Keep the tube & slider compressed & dump out the old spring & dampening rod. I would go with Progressive's cartridge type units, but their lowering Heavy duty spring kits with longer bottoming springs work well too, just follow the instructions.
    If the seals are not leaking & you have less than 50k on them, just keep them compressed & install your kit. If you do decide to change them, change the guide bushings also, Ala service manual.
    Don't forget to beware of fender clearance to the crash bar & brake lines.
'01 FXDXT, '99 FXDL/XRD, '76 FLH

kd

Quote from: jeffscycle on February 26, 2020, 09:17:18 AM
  I would stay away from "drop in kits", as they do just that, and ride like hell. If your going to have the tubes off, Drain them though the dampener hold bolt when you air it off (pneumatic with a long 6mm Allen socket) . Then take off the caps, the caps second because it helps hold the dampening rod during screw removal. Keep the tube & slider compressed & dump out the old spring & dampening rod. I would go with Progressive's cartridge type units, but their lowering Heavy duty spring kits with longer bottoming springs work well too, just follow the instructions.
    If the seals are not leaking & you have less than 50k on them, just keep them compressed & install your kit. If you do decide to change them, change the guide bushings also, Ala service manual.
    Don't forget to beware of fender clearance to the crash bar & brake lines.

Good point   
KD

Hossamania

I have an adaptor to run a FatBoy fender on my RK, it did not clear the cowbells with the lowering kit. I now have modified cowbells with no help from me, bent themselves up nicely for clearance...
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

thirdjld

I put in the cartridge and spring kit over a year ago. I had to take the forks off. I watched their youtube and followed the directions. It did stop the nose dive when braking. For me, it worked out good.
John
It is not the critic who counts;The credit goes to the man who is in the arena

Alexintenn

I installed the drop in kit.  Carefully measured everything and only lowered the bike 1/2 inch
Used 10 weight fork fluid and I am very happy with the results
Slightly stiffer suspension with little nose dive when braking
Combined this with Street Glide shocks to lower the rear one inch, and I am very happy with my suspension

PoorUB

Simple Green has an aluminum safe product. About $20 a gallon on Amazon. Might be something to try.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!