April 27, 2024, 08:56:15 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

little extra power

Started by gillysmi, November 12, 2008, 12:07:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gillysmi

I am looking at putting in gear drive with new cam.  Do not really want to mess with compression at all.  Any ideas for builds??

Bike is a 2006 FLHTCUI with Rush slip ons and SE Air Filter.  I am 260lbs. and need a little more onthe road when i need to get around vehicles. 

Any help is appreciated.

KingofCubes

The bolt in cam I like is the RR525. Will even work better when you up the compression, displacement, or do mild head work. Great bagger cam.

Sonny S.

Quote from: gillysmi on November 12, 2008, 12:07:46 PM
I am looking at putting in gear drive with new cam.  Do not really want to mess with compression at all.  Any ideas for builds??

Bike is a 2006 FLHTCUI with Rush slip ons and SE Air Filter.  I am 260lbs. and need a little more onthe road when i need to get around vehicles. 

Any help is appreciated.

To answer your question. Andrews TW21 or TW26 would be a great " bolt in " choice.

hotbo

Quote from: Sonny S. on November 12, 2008, 01:11:32 PM

Any help is appreciated.

To answer your question. Andrews TW21 or TW26 would be a great " bolt in " choice.

:up:
03 fatty 124"  S&S Super G/Bored w/T-jet,Dragos Softail Exh.

hotroadking

Both andrews cams will work well,
Of course someone has to say "Bobby Woods" or the threads not valid right? LOL

Woods tw-6 is a bolt in cam that JMO provides a bit more TQ than the others, Woods cams typically do, JMO though with your size and that big a bike, you should consider increasing the motor to 95 cui if it's still 88.

No substitue for cui is the saying so increasing the piston bore size will help increase the total overall baseline that your cam can work from to increase power.

A set of pistons and having the stock jugs bored out isn't going to set you back big bucks, maybe $400 if you do it yourself and have a local shop machine out the cyl and fit your pistons for you... Other than gaskets it's not that big a job.

Going big bore is probably easier than changing cams

gillysmi

Thanks everyone for your help.  I have a chance to get a S&S 570g's for a good price.  Also looking a putting in some flat top pistons with different puch rods.  Any one used the 570??

flht99b

Next week my '03 Ultra will be getting a big bore kit, Cometic .030" head gaskets, '06 heads shaved .020", pockets cleaned up and a 4 angle street valve job, HD perfect fit -.030" pushrods, Andrews TW26A cam ( stock chain setup ) and a stage 2 big bore down load to the ECM.  Already have Air Scream air cleaner assembly, stock head pipes, S&S SPO mufflers and a PCIII usb.  I hope to get 80+ hp and 95+ ft lbs or torque from this.  Ed M.

Sonny S.

Any help is appreciated.
Quote from: gillysmi on November 17, 2008, 07:24:46 AM
Thanks everyone for your help.  I have a chance to get a S&S 570g's for a good price.  Also looking a putting in some flat top pistons with different puch rods.  Any one used the 570??

Well, looks like you have changed your mind on what you really want ?

Jeffd

Quote from: gillysmi on November 17, 2008, 07:24:46 AM

Better plan on head work and bumping compression.  I think the 570's would be pretty soft with stock compression.

gillysmi

Sonny u are saying the 570 is a bad choice for what i am looking for??  I am not mechanically inclined so i am looking for all the expertise i can get. 

Sonny S.

Quote from: gillysmi on November 17, 2008, 08:46:24 AM
Sonny u are saying the 570 is a bad choice for what i am looking for??  I am not mechanically inclined so i am looking for all the expertise i can get. 

Yes !!    Very bad choice. You could build a good motor AROUND those cams, but even with head work, a 95" motor, and 10:1 CR, it's still not going to have as much torque on the bottom end. That is basically the Hippo build. Great build, I did one that was 106/102, but it comes on later than I believe you want.

I was under the assumption that you were going to stay 88" and not pull the heads. Sounds like maybe you are planning 95" though ?

gillysmi

Yes I think I am going to do head work.  I figured if I am going to do something it would be benficial to the 95 for the little extra it would cost to do it. 

Sonny S.

November 17, 2008, 09:06:35 AM #12 Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 09:08:40 AM by Sonny S.
OK, so things have changed.

If you want to go with 570's go for it. Ultra Classic, 260lb. rider..... I would still not choose 570's. Here's the deal. Every cam will produce good torque 3000-4000 rpm's. The question is, where do you want the rest ?
How often are you above 5000 rpm's ?

I have an 01 Ultra, and have run TW26's , and now TW37's as 95".
THe 26's will pull your feet off the foot boards when you whack the throttle in low gear but are done around 5000. The 37's are a little softer on the bottom but produce good power through out.

570's will be even softer on the bottom but will be very strong 3000 & up.

Sonny

Sonny S.

I need to add that there are of course other cam choices if you plan on doing head & piston work, and bumping compression.
TW54's Woods TW6 ...etc.

TW54's would probably be a real nice choice for a broad torque band.

marc

I have Andrews 26 G's and love them....See Dyno runs 88" 04FLHTCI..............by marc for what you can expect...

Don D

The high torque under the curve and still good power on top would come from a Wood TW5g. Most people report noise with this grind. I am doing one now and will report and this is interesting because I am using stock beehive springs shimmed. I was a little reluctant because these cams have very fast ramps. Will see how it works.
The others will work too. Milling the heads to get up to 10/1 would be advisable too. The close LSA of the Woods cams makes them a little more compression tolerant despite a relatively early intake close. The S&S 570 would be one I would avoid all together with these heads as I would the 510. These have much more exhaust duration that was more appropriate with the older heads, just my opinion.

hd06myway

Andrews TW21 or TW26 would be good choices, the 21 kicks in at 1500 RPMs, with a nice TQ curve, all the way to 4800 RPMs.  The 26 cam kicks in at 1800 RPMs and drops off at 5200 RPMs.  Both cams will give you seat of the pants real world riding pleasure right out of the hole.

gillysmi

hey all thanks for the help.  Looks like a the good choice would be andrews 26 for my style.  Appreciate the help.  will try to put numbers out when i am done with the build.  Cannot wait to ride again.  Shoveled snow this morning.  going to be a long winter.