April 27, 2024, 08:42:30 AM

News:

ELECTRICAL - 2006 1200 CUSTOM

Started by Jake366, November 12, 2008, 12:44:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jake366

Here's the story.  I brain farted and left my Sporty on after I turned the motor off and it completely drained my battery.  DUH!  Anyway, I jumped it from a running SUV and got it to where I needed it to go.  It ran fine for a while then I noticed that my speedo light stayed on after i turned my bike completely off and removed the key.  I trickle charged the bike for a couple of days and it still did the same thing.  I've ridden it a couple times lately, but now the speedo doesn't even work at all.

I've talked to a couple folks here at work and they suggest one of two things if not both.  1) I blew out the stator/charging system.  2)  Bad battery.

I'm not good with electrical at all so any advice would be helpful.  I'd like to fix it myself if I can so I don't have to take it to the stealership.  Thanks.

andyxlh

Hmm - sounds like you might have more than one issue here.
check the charging system - get a multimeter, which will be a real useful addition to your tool box. Start the bike without the seat on, and set the meter to DC volts. Put the leads across the battery (one on each terminal). The voltage should read a little over 12V. Rev the bike - the voltage should go up to a max of about 14V. If that happens the charging system should be OK. If that does not happen you have a fault in the system - under the bike there is a lead which comes from the stator which lives behind the front chain sprocket in the primary drive. not sure exactly where it exits the case - I have a 4 speed with a different set up, but it will connect to the voltage reg on the front of the frame. Disconnect the plug between the VR and the stator, and set the meter to AC voltage. Check the output of the stator - it should be something like 10V per 1000rpm - but if it goes up quickly when you rev the bike then it's OK. Stator OK, but bike not charging, voltage reg needs to be replaced.
I think the speedo light problem might be a separate issue - I have a cable drive one on my old bike, but find it hard to believe they have a direct link to the charging system with the ignition off. Check the circuit breakers - they live under the seat on my bike - is something shorting them out? Get the workshop manual - expensive but definitely worth it IMO and check the circuit diagram - how is the speedo light getting a current without the ignition on?
I would avoid jumpstarting a bike like that - instead just put the battery on a charger and start it when it is charged up.
cheers
Andy
Sydney
www.youfreeweb.com/andysharleys
If you can't fix it with a hammer and a roll of Duck tape then you're in trouble