April 26, 2024, 02:29:03 PM

News:

Restoring old leather saddlebags?

Started by Finn, March 23, 2020, 03:27:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chaos901

I don't have leather bags but this has been interesting, especially the different takes and folks coming from different perspectives.  Reads a lot like an oil thread, which I suppose it is in reality.   
"There are only two truly infinite things, the universe and stupidity." AE

jmorton10

Quote from: phillyfan on March 23, 2020, 08:25:18 PM
Quote from: jmorton10 on March 23, 2020, 07:05:49 AM
Leatherique looks like a great product, but how is it better than something like Lexol that is kind of the industry standard for leather care ??

~John

Leatherique works a lot different then anything else. How you use it is to rub the oil all over the leather and let them get hot, not in direct sun. The oil goes down into the pores and pushes all the crap out of the pores of the leather, this takes hours. Sometimes more oil is needed, sometimes not.
Once the oil is done working you use hot water and the clean to remove everything. It is really amazing combo for leather.
I have used Lexol before but on uncoated leather that is dirty, Lexol isn't in the same ballpark with this stuff.

On light colored leather you can see the crud just being pushed out of the leather.

When it gets hot outside, put this stuff on the bags and put them in a shed or inside your car for hours. The more time with the oil, the cleaner they will get.

I put the oil on the seats, start the vehicle and turn the heat on. If it has seat warmers I turn them on too. Get it hot and then turn the car off

Thanks for the info, that is the kind information that is actually helpful :-)

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

PoorUB

Quote from: jmorton10 on March 23, 2020, 11:00:51 AM
Quote from: PoorUB on March 23, 2020, 08:16:04 AM

Seriously, I would avoid any vegetable oil or animal fat. They can go rancid and rotten.

Use products designed for the purpose.

Neatsfoot oil falls into that category.......

~John

Funny, I thought I responded to this!?

I have no issues with products designed to condition leather, Crisco isn't one of them! Use a product designed to treat leather.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Hossamania

My chaps are 25 years old, never oiled, worn often, and they look it. They are probably due for some love, good info in this thread, especially the Leatherique, as they are pretty filthy.
Also, I've not used it, but is Murphy's Soap leather cleaner worth a try?
My original plan was to just Mink Oil them and ride, who cares what they look like. But, I suppose I should do it right for the one and only time I put any effort into them.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

screem

as i said in a previous post, these bags were totally taco'd .. curled, bent, and dry as a chip

screem

Bags with lid inserts , they were 4-5 years ago

phillyfan

Quote from: jmorton10 on March 24, 2020, 07:13:00 AM
Quote from: phillyfan on March 23, 2020, 08:25:18 PM
Quote from: jmorton10 on March 23, 2020, 07:05:49 AM
Leatherique looks like a great product, but how is it better than something like Lexol that is kind of the industry standard for leather care ??

~John

Leatherique works a lot different then anything else. How you use it is to rub the oil all over the leather and let them get hot, not in direct sun. The oil goes down into the pores and pushes all the crap out of the pores of the leather, this takes hours. Sometimes more oil is needed, sometimes not.
Once the oil is done working you use hot water and the clean to remove everything. It is really amazing combo for leather.
I have used Lexol before but on uncoated leather that is dirty, Lexol isn't in the same ballpark with this stuff.

On light colored leather you can see the crud just being pushed out of the leather.

When it gets hot outside, put this stuff on the bags and put them in a shed or inside your car for hours. The more time with the oil, the cleaner they will get.

I put the oil on the seats, start the vehicle and turn the heat on. If it has seat warmers I turn them on too. Get it hot and then turn the car off

Thanks for the info, that is the kind information that is actually helpful :-)

~John

No problem. I detail vehicles as a side gig for the last 10 plus years and have seen some absolute disgusting interiors. Soured milk that spilled a month before they brought the vehicle to me is on. Another good one was a truck that had to hit the brakes pretty hard and a crock pot with a pot roast in it flipped over. Don't worry about cleaning it, just wait a few weeks and then call me. Gross
'09RG. S&S 106, Drago2, CR 575.
Too much $$ into audio

bobrk1

My jacket  faded  I  talked  to  leather  store where  I  bought  it, he  said  that  he  uses  wd 40 I  hung  up  jacket  and  sprayed  it good  came  out  great 

PoorUB

WD40?? :hyst:

It might work fine, but you will smell like an oil refinery for a few days!

Most other leather conditioners have very little odor.

JW113

Yes it sounds a bit weird, but I'll tell you. If you're riding in the rain, in pinch it works quite well at waterproofing your boots if you don't have access to Camp Dry silicone spray. I don't think I'd use it on a jacket due to the 'aroma', but on saddlebags? Sure, why not?

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

PoorUB

Leaking boots?
I carry two plastic bags large enough to put my feet in, dry socks, plastic bags and water logged boots and your feet stay nice and toastie!

JW113

Leaky only if not treated at the beginning of the riding season. Wesco "Boss" boots. Treat with silicone or other boot oil, especially at the same of the upper and sole, and they are 100% waterproof.

-JW

Finn

First coat of Carr's Leather Oil on after cleaning the bags with Autoglym stuff.

Even if it is fairly cool in the garage the first coat seems to get absorbed quite quickly. I think this is something that would be good to do in summer temperatures.

Thick stuff, sort of like honey.

-83 GS1000G | -84 GSX1100EF | -97 FLHR | -98 FLSTS | -16 Triumph Tiger Explorer XRT 1200

mkd

hot sun lets that leather soak it right up! use to do my springer bags in the sun! lexol, is what i used! very thin and soaks up faster.

JW113

Honey, I can relate. Upon high praise recommendation I tried some of that Oberauf's TP beeswax conditioner on my Softail bags. Thick like honey, and eventually did soak in. Sort of. But I was wiping the damn stuff off for weeks, always had patches of it weeping back out. Never again, sticking to the tried and true Lexol. YMMV.

-JW

mkd

would put the lexol on with a 1" paint brush, let it soak in and reapply! the dryer and more open the grain the faster it soaks in!

eglideic

Quote from: nibroc on March 23, 2020, 10:15:20 AM
I use neatsfoot oil

Ditto on the neatsfoot oil. I got that tip from an old cobbler.

CVOThunder

April 03, 2020, 09:51:42 PM #42 Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 10:00:58 PM by CVOThunder
Quote from: thunderrat on March 23, 2020, 05:08:49 AM
On dried out bags like yours I prefer Obenauf's leather Oil (made in Idaho) applied til they don't take any more   followed up by Doc Bailey's Black Again............ted

Guess I need to give them a shout someday. Old stompin' grounds back in the late 60's. Lots of good info here, might try the Leatherique as well. Depends on what I'm working on. Bags or car interior.
Photons by the bag. Gravitons not  shipped outside the US.