April 26, 2024, 10:10:32 PM

News:

twin cam compensator

Started by black, March 23, 2020, 04:41:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

black

I wanted to know if anyone has had any luck with the after market( look a like Screaming Eagle) compensators that are out now they are a little cheaper in price  I have the newest Screaming eagle version in now, and starting to act up again it has about 20 thousand miles on it
send  lawyers guns and money

SB107

Look into these, if I didn't already have a solid front sprocket this is what I would get.

https://darkhorsecrankworks.com/shop?olsPage=products%2Fman-o-war-motorsprocket
Mutant Motors 124"
161/148 STD, 158/145 SAE

kd

If you have the SE 14+ comp with the plastic oil tray you may an option.  They really don't wear out the spokes any more due to the better oil feed. They may however have been installed without confirming the stack height.  One or two $5.00 shims may cure it if that's the issue. The link below describes how to check it and gives the shim part #.  I found the shim in stock at the dealer near me and keep a couple in my drawer.   

http://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php?topic=82010.msg917659#msg917659
KD

black

Hey kd I have been try to measure stack height is  the small spring is that suppose to be  like a wave washer ,or set flat with a bevel it is not the same  measurement all the way around trying to find stack height

Ohio HD

Black, this is how I measure them. Assembly inverted on a work table. Measure to the back of the cam from the top of the spring stack.

If you see a large variation in measurement, the springs are probably in need of replacement. But even with new springs, the shims will probably be needed.

https://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,68275.msg1169753.html#msg1169753

black

Thanks Ohio, these are new spring pack I have two shims ,going to put it together I think that will get me within the specs We will see ,thanks for the help. Stay safe

Ohio HD

All of the older SE compensators needed shims that I've seen.

The newer breed they made the cam thicker, this eliminates shims in a lot of cases. The internal parts for new and old do not interchange by the way.

https://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,68275.msg1169764.html#msg1169764

kd

KD

black

well I don't want to beat a dead horse  but i have measured the stack height a a million times ,and i am over these(.286-.326)specs if I put a small amount of pressure on the stack it gets me close to the high.side ,no shims..351 I installed it yesterday. Fired right up, turned it off and on  a few times ,Restarted good so  I think maybe I got it  The next gas stop will tell the tale  Anybody else having problems measuring  or is it me :scratch:

PoorUB

When I measured the comp stack height on my 2010 one washer got me close, two got me over. I went with two, never had any issues.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

black

Quote from: PoorUB on April 01, 2020, 04:07:42 PM
When I measured the comp stack height on my 2010 one washer got me close, two got me over. I went with two, never had any issues.
I think it is QC on the springs I have measured two different sets still can't hit that #.326 Thanks for the information I guess i am not the only one   :up:

kd

Quote from: PoorUB on April 01, 2020, 04:07:42 PM

Exactly what happened to me.  I was getting a comp on ESP at the dealer.  The techs and service department didn't know about the stack height and shims when I reminded them to check it first.  I provided them with the procedure and shim part # (thanks to Joe Lyons  :beer: ).  My buddy was the dealer so I shared the info with him.  The tech called me a day later and said that one was good and two was a red hair over, what do I want to do?  I said do one because I have an angry engine and want all the ramp I can get.  If it knocks I'll add the other.

Well it was just noticeable if you knew what to listen for.  I let it run itself in before putting the second shim in cuz it only baaaarely rapped if lugged or with the rupp rupp rupp idle.
KD