May 08, 2024, 10:49:53 PM

News:

o2 conversion question

Started by nc-renegade, May 24, 2009, 11:08:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don D

Please list the part number for the o2 sensors and what are you guys doing for wiring. I helped a guy and we used a couple ACR harnesses for the pin connections, got to be an easier less expensive way.
TIA

nc-renegade

June 05, 2009, 02:02:16 PM #26 Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 02:06:03 PM by nc-renegade
Quote from: Deweysheads on June 05, 2009, 12:07:43 PM
Please list the part number for the o2 sensors and what are you guys doing for wiring. I helped a guy and we used a couple ACR harnesses for the pin connections, got to be an easier less expensive way.
TIA
Here is a list that Ram sent me:

2 ea....72007-05.........Housing Socket
4 ea....72006-05.........Socket, terminal
2 ea....72076-00.........Pins
4 ea....72011-05.........Wire seal, #16-20 AWG/Yellow
2 ea....27683-07.........o2 Sensors

Both he and I used 20 AWG stranded copper wire with silver plating covered in teflon jacket for hook up to ECM.  Make a two pair cable from the hook-up wire and twist them in a drill..... I went 5 turns per inch.  Then use heat shrink to keep it together and protect the wire when you make your runs.

I used the TYCO/AMP pin / socket crimpers tool to make my connections, though careful use of needlenose plyers would work as well.

I got the parts at Zanotti's for $98 total (including shipping).  The wire is very expensive for the 100' I bought, which I got from Digikey.  Perhaps Radio Shack has smaller quanities or standard auto hook-up wire would work just as well.
107ci, 11:1,T-Man Stage 3 Heads, T-Man TR-662 cam, HPI 51mm TB, Feuling plate/SP

blkfalc4

Awsome NC, thanks a bunch bro.
Been doing some reading on this, but no definitive way of going about it.
I'll be using Belden twisted shielded. I'm an EE and have plenty of this stuff around.
Good Luck in this endeavor NC

Mike
05 FXDWGI-97CI..10:1..DeweyHeads 80cc..TW54G Cams..ST 2-1..TTS..C/L..3.37:1

Herko

FWIW HD uses type TXL wire and is typical in many automotive harnesses.
I used TXL 18 ga 19x30 unplated copper for my O2 sensor wiring additions.
Considering a power upgrade?
First and foremost, focus on your tuning plan.

nc-renegade

Quote from: blkfalc4 on June 05, 2009, 03:59:19 PM
I'm an EE and have plenty of this stuff around.

Mike

Hi Mike,
So am I, designed and built many high end embedded systems and have a patent, all for electric utility applications...but still screwed up my ecu! LOL, sh$t happens!  So be careful, the Delphi ECU is not as highly ruggedized as I would of assumed.

A friend of mine has an 06 ECU that he does not need.  He is giving me this one tomorrow.  Hopefully, I will be able to successful marry the unit to my security/turn signal unit and get the correct VIN number programed in.  I still want to try out the TSS VTune.

Regards,
NC
107ci, 11:1,T-Man Stage 3 Heads, T-Man TR-662 cam, HPI 51mm TB, Feuling plate/SP

blkfalc4

That sucks NC, your right though '"Potty mouth" happens' had many a time where I thought it was safe and good, but the output wasn't as I had calculated. LOL

Mike
05 FXDWGI-97CI..10:1..DeweyHeads 80cc..TW54G Cams..ST 2-1..TTS..C/L..3.37:1

deuce 06

What is Rams website or where can I find info to the O2 conversion    Thanks
06 DEUCE
95 CI SE HEADS WITH R&R PORT
R&R 615 CAMS W/ CAM PLATE CP PISTONS

Ram

Quote from: deuce 06 on June 06, 2009, 07:47:33 AM
What is Rams website or where can I find info to the O2 conversion    Thanks

Ram has no website, sorry. I do check in from time to time.

All the info on the o2 conversions to date for the most part has been posted on this website within
various posts.

I'm not a dealer or a tuner.  I'm just an average guy doing a little upgrade like a few others here.

I know that a single source point of information, is actually non-existent (its pretty much scattered in several threads and other sites as well) for converting an '05 or '06 to run closed loop with o2's as an '07 does.

I have done a lot of research on this up to this point, ordered the items listed above. Assembled them and installed them on my '06 FLHRI Road King. And am currently updating a new laptop with drivers. To do my tuning if the rain stays away!  Or I don't get called into work.

What question/s do you have?

'06 FLHRI Road King, ULTRA dress, o2's, TTS tune, LSR 2-1 Black Holes quiet pipe

hollywood63

Forgive my stupidity but I thought going to a "wide band" system was the way to go versus the stock o2's. I just found this post and read through it a couple times. Not seeing the advantage.................................and not trying to start a pissing match...................just don't understand
Thanks

nc-renegade

Quote from: hollywood63 on June 07, 2009, 12:40:00 PM
Forgive my stupidity but I thought going to a "wide band" system was the way to go versus the stock o2's. I just found this post and read through it a couple times. Not seeing the advantage.................................and not trying to start a pissing match...................just don't understand
Thanks

I like my T-Max, however I want to see what the advantage is with the Delphi, once properly tuned.  The big factor in my book is the anti-knocking technology the Delphi has; the T-Max does not have this feature.

I also have plans for my T-Max on a friends bagger with Zipper's Dry Nitro system.

Don D

Once the VEs are corrected the AFRs can be juggled as one sees fit and have relatively accurate ECU correction.
This is possible with Vtune or manually with a SERT on the dyno.
I have been told by more than one tuner that they turn off closed loop after tuning.
No endorsement or recomendation just the messenger here.

Don D

What are you using to crimp the terminals on?

flhtci2006

Are the 72011-05 needed?  Are these seals for where the wires go into the O2 sensor connectors?  If so, could the holes be potted?

Ram

June 09, 2009, 06:18:39 AM #38 Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 06:20:52 AM by Ram
Quote from: flhtci2006 on June 08, 2009, 06:35:20 PM

Are the 72011-05 needed?  Are these seals for where the wires go into the O2 sensor connectors?  If so, could the holes be potted?

The AMP connectors were developed with the intent to maintain the connectors water resistance along with keeping dirt out and to remove the contact if needed.  I'm sure that they are also performing a bit of contact alignment of the back shell so when connecting to the mate connectors the pins and sockets are aligned and make positive connection as the two back shells are connected to each other.

They were only $0.50 each. I only paid a total of $2.00 (less tax) for all (4) of mine.

If you install the contact on the wire with out that seal in place I'm pretty sure that you would ruin the seal getting it over the contact or sliding completely over all the tail end (from the other end) of the wire to crimp it correctly onto the contact after the fact.  

IMO, as I did order and waited for the complete components list to arrive prior to assembly.

You could pot the back side of the connection.  If you really wanted to.

Don't expect to remove your wire or contact from the connector assy successfully in the future. And if the contact points (pins and sockets) don't slide together right after the potting has set you have to cut off the entire mess and start again. Hope fully you leave a bit of extra wire in your harness to do so!  

On another foot note: I've heard that others have had issues with getting the o2 sensors to operate properly when installing on an 05/06 for closed loop tuning. In cutting corners by what ever back yard mechanics means, will not help trouble shoot future issues.  It definitely is not going to help the future maintainability.  

I can only recommend, assembly with all the parts as listed, and use the proper TYCO/AMP crimpers as outlined in the FSM to affix your contacts onto the wire ends as they were intended.  With a good automotive grade wire as well. You don't want fuel or solvents to dissolve the wire jacket.  
'06 FLHRI Road King, ULTRA dress, o2's, TTS tune, LSR 2-1 Black Holes quiet pipe

flhtci2006

My problem was no one in the area has the seals.  You make good points.  I know in the aircraft business, potting is a very common method.  But, I'll put 4 on order.
One other thing I have noticed in various threads about this is there have been 2 different O2 sensor part numbers given.  They are the 27683-06 and -07.  While both look identical, there is a different Bosch number on them.  Could this be a reason some have had problems with going closed loop?  FFT

Ram

June 09, 2009, 07:51:17 AM #40 Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 07:53:22 AM by Ram
Quote from: flhtci2006 on June 09, 2009, 06:44:28 AM
My problem was no one in the area has the seals.  You make good points.  I know in the aircraft business, potting is a very common method.  But, I'll put 4 on order.
One other thing I have noticed in various threads about this is there have been 2 different O2 sensor part numbers given.  They are the 27683-06 and -07.  While both look identical, there is a different Bosch number on them.  Could this be a reason some have had problems with going closed loop?  FFT

Its good to hear that you will order and most likely be back ordered if not regionally on hand for your seals.  

I don't know if any difference exists in the part numbers electrically or physically for o2 sensors!  

I have read that H-D part number suffix is incremented to indicate year models and or updates.  

I would suspect that since its a "numerical" vice alphabetical suffix change that it only indicates the difference between 2006 and 2007 year model production? Like meaning the -06 could be Dyna vice -07 for Turning bikes? Maybe a dealer parts counter person could shed some light?

I know for a fact that I have the 27683-07 injectors and are for a model year 2007 FLH series touring bike. I've verified them with the dealership parts counter.

I'm sure that someone with any additional information on any possible difference in the part number suffix will be addressed shortly, if someone knows anything different.  

Its almost a sure bet that Steve Cole knows!  

FLTRI

Different part numbers could be due to different length pigtails.
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

Ram

Quote from: FLTRI on June 09, 2009, 07:57:41 AM

True. 

I developed the parts listing above posted by NC and its for the -07.  So if someone is concerned about fitment with those parts, they all work together.

Herko

Quote from: FLTRI on June 09, 2009, 07:57:41 AM

Bob's right.
I normally keep all 3 part numbers here.
Difference being in pigtail lengths.
Considering a power upgrade?
First and foremost, focus on your tuning plan.

Evo160K

Quote from: flhtci2006 on June 09, 2009, 06:44:28 AM
They are the 27683-06 and -07.  While both look identical, there is a different Bosch number on them. 

IIRC the length of the wire between the sensor and the connector is different.

flhtci2006

For kicks, does anyone have pic's of the newly created O2 harness/harnesses?

Ram

Quote from: flhtci2006 on June 09, 2009, 10:36:07 AM

wouldn't take will send later.

flhtci2006

While wiring is not my specialty, I am quite familiar with it as I have had to inspect the work of others to the mil-specs.  I have made some simple harnesses and crimped wires.  Any info possible on moving from PCIII to TTS and closed loop would be appreciated.  I have indeed ordered the wire seals (and some extra pins, just in case).  Since the engine is apart now but going back together, I will make and install the harnesses in advance as I won't have all the parts in before I finish the build.  I'll use the PCIII initially then once the parts come in, transfer over to TTS and closed loop.  I won't do any connecting of the harnesses to the ECO or even install the O2 sensors until all parts are in and the job can be completed 100%.  Don't want to leave anything disconnected.

Ram

June 09, 2009, 02:23:21 PM #48 Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 02:45:42 PM by Ram
Quote from: flhtci2006 on June 09, 2009, 10:36:07 AM

Please note: These "Green" wire seals ABOVE are only for instructional purposes.

The ones that you have to order are Yellow, like I've included in photos below.

In process of building wiring assembly. The wire colors that I have used are NOT
exactly the same as those as factory. Teflon wiring that I used was not economically
available in factory colors for me when spec'ing out my parts listing. However I have documented what I
have ran and will keep it safe for future reference.  

Note: You will have to allow wiring for engine vibrations. Do not run any of the o2 sensor wires tight from the engine to frame tie points.

This is as much of a "Harness" that I've made.  From this point, install o2's,
remove gas tank, run wiring in try on back bone, route to ECM.  Secure wiring
upto ECM harness and then run into back shell of ECM.  I did final crimp of "sockets"
the contacts which I pushed into terminal numbers 8 and 23. Then tied into the common
terminal contact (26) wiring with solder and heat shrink.  

nc-renegade

Ram,
You photos are how I did mine as well, except I used the same color wire and then ohm'd it out.