April 26, 2024, 04:51:38 AM

News:

making clutch and throttle cables

Started by FLH_Rider, April 06, 2020, 02:32:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLH_Rider

I was looking at making some cables shorter I had purchased from Barnett, they cam in longer than what I need.
Would anyone know where I could purchase the ends and tools to modify the cables,,,?

JW113

For the throttle cable, I just use one of these little dudes at the carburetor end. Can pick them up a most auto parts stores in the "Help" section.

[attach=0]

For the clutch, I'd be a little cautious there. There's a lot of force on those end fittings, not sure I'd trust a home made version. Might be worth a call to Barnett and ask if they would shorten it?

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

FLH_Rider

I have those and would prefer to get the crimp on ends. If they need to be soldered as well.

Pirsch Fire Wagon

I looked for months and could not find a supplier.

I opened a 00 or 000 12GA shell and used the Led Balls for the Throttle / Return when one came off on a ride.

Drilled a 1/16 hole and used a Hand Hydraulic Crimp and they were on my bagger since 2003 (its a 2000) and I just changed to all new cables six months ago when I converted it to carb with absolutely no probes over 17 years.

There are specific measurements to operate properly so don't forget to measure with the cable completely pulled to the working end and measure to the Outer Cover End.

I don't see why it wouldn't work with the Clutch as well.

On the other side, you could sell what you have and buy new - IMO They're not that expensive, even for Custom made cables.
Tom

Evo160K

Iirc when I was trying to make custom cables for one of those Del Orto side draft carbs with a one-off manifold, I bought the makings from Barnett.  Now when I need a new set, I send the old ones to them and they duplicate it.  Good people.