May 04, 2024, 10:54:05 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

07 Tranny or clutch problem?

Started by Dennis The Menace, November 12, 2008, 02:08:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis The Menace

I have noticed for some time a problem that seems to be getting worse.

Pulling out from a stop, it feels like there is some "slack" before the tranny gears really engage.  Sort of like slip on an automatic transmission in a car when taking off (I had Chevy Powerglide trans 35 years ago--you know how they are). 

I release the clutch and there is slight delay before the gear is engaged and a definite feel once it finally does.  Not a hard clunk, but a noticeable engagement of the gear to get the bike moving.

I have adjusted the clutch to Hippo specs.  Still have the problem.  I presume clutch plates, but want to be sure its not something more, inside the tranny.

Bike is 07 RG, stock 6-speed, 15,500 miles.

Menace

hdpegscraper

This may be of intrest.

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

Dennis The Menace

Peg, thanks for that post--gives me some things to look at.

My bike was a rental for 8K miles, so who knows how it was ridden.  I am going to replace the plates and will feel better knowing that it is sound.

I am also going to try the ATF-F fluid.  I saw a few posts on the old HTT site that said the ATF was the chit.

Now all I need is some bad weather to take her down and do the deed.  Too much sunshine in Denver lately..cant stop riding.  lol

Menace