May 07, 2024, 09:58:19 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

1980 XLS Roadster

Started by ramcr913, May 24, 2009, 06:25:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ramcr913

Any of these still around? Almost bought one new in 1980, wound up with a FX instead. Haven't seen one on the road (at least stock enough to recognize) in years. Any of these still around?

Crowbar

That's how my 81 started life, I still have it, sits in the garage alot now that I bought the Fatboy.

Lew

I have an 83 XLS that I restored (mostly), over the winter.  I haven't seen another yet.  I've had a lot of compliments on it with most saying they didn't know this model sporty was available and had never seen one.  I gained a good bit of respect for it in the course of putting it together.  A well engineered beast.  I try to post a pic of it.

Lew
-It is now later than it has ever been before-

Pynzo

May 27, 2009, 03:29:10 AM #3 Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 03:32:33 AM by Pynzo
Keep an eye on Walneck's, they show up from time to time. Theres one on there right now, down in Houston for sale, but it doesn't have the FX style tank. They were some very sharp looking Sportys for sure!

ramcr913

If I remember correctly, the XLS did not come with an FX tank, it had a one piece tank, and I thibk it was a bit different (and larger) than the standard sporty tank. Also came with factory 2 tone paint.
Thanks for the replies, I was just curious. Used to be a lot of them around in the early '80s but haven''t seen one (recognizable) in a long time. Them stock siamese pipes were sure enough weird but it would be nice to see one again.

Pynzo

May 29, 2009, 02:49:59 PM #5 Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 03:05:48 PM by Pynzo
Sorry about that, I should have been more specific. When I think about FXs, '73 and up Superglides come to mind. The FX (and FXE) tank (Superglide) and the XLS Roadster tanks were the same shape. I believe the XLS was different in the mounts and may have had a smaller capacity. I wasn't talking about the split Fat Bob style tanks used on FXLR Low Riders and FXWG Wide Glides, or on the '71-'72 Superglide. The standard Sporty tank was actually a German design Harley appropriated at the end of WW2 and originally used on the Model 125 (The Hummer, a German Designed Bike also produced by BSA and other companies), then adapted to KRs, and subsequently XLCHs.

ramcr913

Wasn't aware of the history Pynzo, thanks.
Yeah, now I get what you meant regarding the FX style tank.
Anyway, that 80 XLS was a sharp looking scoot. Love to find one in a barn....