April 26, 2024, 04:15:31 AM

News:

Primary Chain Adjuster

Started by Muddogg, April 20, 2020, 07:04:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muddogg

You guys that are beefing up your primaries with stronger clutches, baskets and comps, what is a go to on a primary chain adjuster. I am talking about when you add big bores, with the goodies and hp an tq go up. Got a 2018 107 FLHXS going to start a little work on.
Thanks, Joe

No Cents

take the factory tensioner and set it so you have 5/8" deflection in the top of your chain in the middle. Mark a line across the tensioner to the wedge part of it. Remove the tensioner and weld across the wedges teeth to the body of the tensioner.

[attach=0]
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

rbabos

Quote from: Muddogg on April 20, 2020, 07:04:21 AM
You guys that are beefing up your primaries with stronger clutches, baskets and comps, what is a go to on a primary chain adjuster. I am talking about when you add big bores, with the goodies and hp an tq go up. Got a 2018 107 FLHXS going to start a little work on.
Thanks, Joe
No beefing up required as it operates on the slack side of the hp or loads. Most stress they see is hard decels or downshifts with a clutch dump.  Many do lock them up to be non self adjusting though as the extra loads that deflect the crank and main shaft could play hell with the self adjusting and over snug the chain in certain conditions. Similar to what Ray posted above.
Ron

Hillside Motorcycle

TR offers a good manual unit.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

hattitude

April 24, 2020, 09:21:18 PM #4 Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 09:34:27 PM by hattitude
I got a Twin Power manual adjuster, sized for my 32T solid engine sprocket kit from Vulcan....

I've only had it on for a short time, but it was easy to install and adjust.... They make them also for OEM applications...

Ooops... just noticed I'm in the M8 section... not sure they make them for the M8, mine is in a Twin Cam..

kd

Tom Reiser / Tman Performance
KD

Pirsch Fire Wagon

Interesting experience. I had one that had lived its life. I replaced it with a Manual. That was louder than the Automatic. Called another Tech, he said drive it as far as it would go and tighten it. The noise stopped. But what was the purpose? If it's not too tight noise is there. On the other had, the O.E.M. lasted 116,000 miles.

When they began redesigning primaries in 07 i.e. Narrower for vertically challenged and the Compensator debacle, things just seemed to get worse in there.... IMO

I've used Drag, Baker, Hayden, and a couple others. None seem to provide what I was looking for, Just put a new O.E.M. in.

BTW: The guidance recently is to tighten the Belt like a Banjo String to ballance out the Bearing Side Load on the Main Shaft. Something went wrong along the way.
Tom