FLHT front rubber mount install, need suggestions

Started by flhtvtwin, November 12, 2008, 02:38:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flhtvtwin

I am trying to install a new front rubber mount.  I messed up in the beginning by lifting the engine too high.  I didn't know the bracket that bolts to the front of the case and front stabilizer had to come off.

I thought maybe I put the exhaust in a bind so I loosened it up at the tranny mount and the muffler bracket under the saddlebag. (2 into 1)

I can't get the engine to set down on the new rubber mount, it's about 1/8 inch too high.  Also, the inner primary is less than 1/8 inch above the frame. 

I have loosened the top stabilizer under the fuel tank and it is not in a bind.

I'm wondering if I start bolting the rubber mount to the bracket if it will pull the engine down and not bind/tear the mount.

Any help is appreciated,

Mark

Bakon

You only loosened the mount bolts and an exhaust bolt? You should be fine. Dont know what you mean by the primary being 1/8 away, did you touch anything over there? Raising too high should have been really tough, like lifting the bike off the lift. I dont think you could hurt anything and the rubber mounts in the rear would be the pivot point, so all you have it upper stabilizer link.
wasting time

skyguy59

Just a thought.... The plate with the stabilizer link that you removed from the engine case goes on the BOTTOM of the engine case mounting tabs not on top. I have seen one bolted to the top side and the engine would touch the frame before the plate would touch the mount.

flhtvtwin

Thanks so much skyguy, that's what I was doing wrong.  Mount is in correctly, but I have the bracket on top of the case.  Really appreciate your help.

Mark

Bakon

Looked at mine and the primary should be about 1/2 inch or more from frame.
wasting time